Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Run down - what can I do?

(2 Posts)
WoodBetweenTheWorlds Sat 01-Oct-11 23:00:04

I have been suffering from a high level of stress in the last couple of years - most of it work related, but also some family stuff. I try to look after myself as well as I can - eat healthy food, get a bit of exercise, sufficient sleep etc. However, I am feeling really run down and am suffering from lots of minor ailments. GP thinks it is related to the stress and says I need to deal with this, but hasn't been very forthcoming about what I can actually do.

My biggest problems at the moment are IBS, dishidrotic eczema on my hands and tension headaches, which affect me regularly. Problems in work are affecting me, I know, but I can't afford to quit (main breadwinner) and I don't really want to get signed off as the problems will still be waiting for me when I get back.

I feel like my body is starting to fall apart. Please help me - what can I do to get my health back on track again?

triplets Sat 01-Oct-11 23:32:16

Hi...........poor you I sympathize. My stress problems are huge, I lost a child, then gave birth to triplets (ivf) when I was 46, then three years ago my husband was diagnosed with cancer, bowel/liver/lung. My trio are now almost 14, life is very stressful. I was getting terrible pain in my right side, knew it was bowel related, migraines, mood swings, cold sores etc. I went to my gps several times and was told it was ibs due to stress, given meds and sent away. Nothing changed so back I went and was offered an anti -depressant, way I said, I may have been thru hell but I am not depressed. So on went the symptoms for another 6 months, I just felt so ill. I went back and saw another gp, she to said I should try Citalopram, its not only for depression but for anxiety as well. That was almost a year ago and guess what? No more feeling ill, no getting screwed up over things I can`t change. I was taking a 5mg once a day, now I take one every other day and I`m fine. For now they work for me, its just a thought.............they might help you too. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now