Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can someone help me with some mooncup advice?

(17 Posts)
RumpledTitSkin Sat 01-Oct-11 17:24:04

I'm very embarrassed to be writing this, but hey, noone on here knows me so what the hell!!

I have decided to try again with a mooncup as I bought one a year or so ago and as I didn't get on with it straight away I left it in the cupboard and forgot about it. I'm trying to save money so thought I'd dig it out and try again.

My problems are these:

When it's in, I can feel it when I sit down. I cut the stumpy tail a bit shorter and it's better, but still noticable.

It leaks. Maybe it's just me, but I'm only on day 1 of my period and I am rather heavy but I did buy the biggest one specially. How long should you be able to go with out changing them? At this rate, I can't leave the house.

Finally, and this is why I am really writing, I just went for a wee and felt the urge to push and pushed the stupid thing out blush

Are they just not for me? Or am I not doing it right?

Hassled Sat 01-Oct-11 17:29:53

a) I cut all of the tail off.
b) I always leak a bit, so always wear a pad as well. But obviously you have to change pads less often, and the leaking is true of tampons with me (4 large babies - what can I say?).
c) I think maybe it needs to be a bit higher up.

cece Sat 01-Oct-11 17:32:50

1) Cut the stump off some more and or position it higher inside you
2) Once inside give it a little twist and pull to produce a tighter seal/vacumn effect. Stops a lot of the leaking. Also you may not have it high enough - just a thought. Or sometimes if mine is too high it leaks...
3) I have never pushed it out. Think you need to put it in higher!

Bellavita Sat 01-Oct-11 17:33:34

See I always thought it was to sit low down?

I have given up on mine after about 5 months of trying. I really thought I had mastered it on Thursday, put it in, felt ok. After 2 hours it was full shock.

RumpledTitSkin Sat 01-Oct-11 18:20:50

Blimey, thanks for the quick replies!

I thought you had to leave a stump, is it not tricky to get hold of otherwise?

Suction makes sense, will try twisting and pulling thanks. It just feels so weird and reminiscent of childbirth pulling the thing out.

No one else pushed one out though? Maybe I have exceptionally strong vaginal muscles! (not a bucket)

hiddenhome Sat 01-Oct-11 22:53:38

If you've managed to push it out then the seal which creates the vacuum inside isn't strong enough.

Once you've inserted it, run your finger around it so that it sort of twirls around. If it refuses to do this then give it a push, then a tug then another push, then try twirling it after that.

BlowHole Sat 01-Oct-11 22:55:48

Mine leaks if it is in too high

valiumredhead Sun 02-Oct-11 13:25:24

I cut the stem off completely - FAR too long and scratchy!

When you insert it push to the small of your back - I push quite far back, the give it a half turn twist - this should stop the leaking.

Good luck!

SquongebobSparepants Sun 02-Oct-11 13:41:43

Mine overflows and floods (nice) in an hour on my heaviest days, and I am in a job where I cannot get to the loo whenever I need, I have to wait, so I am back using tampons AND pads. It sucks.

Having said that on lighter days it is perfect, cut ALL the stem off though and spin it slighty/run finger round to make sure it is fully 'open'

HelloSweetie Sun 02-Oct-11 13:44:18

cut stem off completely, flush with the cup bit.

shove in right high. then bear down and shove up at the same time.

don't think i'd fill mine if i didn't change it for a week though.

valiumredhead Sun 02-Oct-11 14:48:57

Blimey squonge I am luck to fill mine in a whole day - you poor thing!

Honeydragon Sun 02-Oct-11 14:54:33

I put mine quite high as I have a tipped uterus I also cut the stem off entirely. I am very heavy at times and can fill a Mooncup in half an hour, but annihilate a tampon in 15 minutes....thankfully this appears to be resolving itself, but generally I find the cup lasts longer than a tampon

cece Sun 02-Oct-11 22:34:29

All of those who fill their cups so quickly. I used to be like that and it is too much. Visit your GP who can suggest options for reducing your flow. You really should not bleed that much and my GP was very sympathetic.

In the end I had a Mirena coil fitted and now I barely have any in there all day. So I have gone from changing every half hour to hour to changing once a day!

Honeydragon Sun 02-Oct-11 22:36:58

Cece, I use Tranexamic acid when it's bad smile, I have the copper coil as can't use hormones.

Bellavita Sun 02-Oct-11 22:42:42

cece, I did have a mirena coil but had it taken out after 5 years (last year) I didn't want another one putting in as it made me even more of a grumpy person.

I am now 46 and thought my periods might slow down a bit, but they are getting worse.

Honey, what is the Tranexamic acid?

Honeydragon Mon 03-Oct-11 07:39:16

It reduces bleeding, the gp can prescribe it and you can take it on heavy days.

They tend not to prescribe it if you smoke or run any clotting risks. It works pretty much immediately, and means that on my worst couple of days I can actually leave the house.

cece Tue 04-Oct-11 22:24:38

I used to have that T acid too and it was a bit better but not as good as my coil smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now