Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Water infection, anything I can do until Monday?

(11 Posts)
CBear6 Sat 01-Oct-11 08:49:02

I saw my GP on Wednesday and he diagnosed a water infection for which he prescribed antibiotics. I had to stop taking them yesterday morning because they were making me ill (lightheaded, short of breath, nauseous, etc) but I think they were also making 2wo DD ill too (she's BF) as she was irritable, had some runnier than usual nappies, and didn't want to feed - she was fine by last night though.

I'm going to get an appointment for Monday/Tuesday to see about different anti-biotics but does anyone know if any home remedies that will relieve things in the meantime? Sitting here feeling really tender, got a little bit of a raised temperature, and can't pee without whimpering sad

nonemus Sat 01-Oct-11 08:52:40

cranberry juice - and lots of water. nutrition.about.com/od/dietsformedicaldisorders/f/cranberryjuice.htm

Dipsyistipsy Sat 01-Oct-11 08:58:24

Could you not give out of hours a ring,if your feeling crap with a diagnosed water infection and a two week old baby then I,m sure they could issue a prescription for a different ab,hope you feel better soon.

BerryLellow Sat 01-Oct-11 09:00:30

I would call out of hours, these infections can get much worse quite quickly (speaking from experience!) Make sure you drink plenty of fluids to keep flushing through - yes to cranberry juice but also Lemon barley water. Hope you feel better soon

bagelmonkey Sat 01-Oct-11 09:03:19

You shouldn't have to wait. Out of hours GP definitely.
Also the cranberry juice & lot of fluids.

Conflugenglugen Sat 01-Oct-11 09:08:43

Yes, don't wait. It can become a kidney infection if you're not careful - and that is horrendous.

Cranberry juice, plenty of water, hold off on anything acidic - apples especially, and coffee.

Hope you feel better soon!

Grumpystiltskin Sat 01-Oct-11 09:58:45

I got some powder stuff from boots that was really good when I had a kidney infection but no way to see a Dr. That and lots and lots of water helped no end. The powder is like cranberry concentrate so I'm pretty sure it would be ok for BFing but I would check with pharmacist.

CBear6 Sat 01-Oct-11 10:47:44

Thanks everyone smile

I'm going to see if the pharmacist can give me anything and if not it'll be the out of hours doctor.

whereismywine Sat 01-Oct-11 18:23:38

Angela Kilmartin has an excellent strategy for dealing with cystitis attacks, it has always helped me til I can see a gp.

http://www.med4u.co.uk/WLAs/cystitis.htm

I had an awful time with cystitis for years by but, touch wood, I stopped wearing thongs and it's never come back! blush just thought I'd throw that out there. It never occurred to me that they might be making things worse. Hope you get better soon, cystitis is mean.

whereismywine Sat 01-Oct-11 18:25:05

Sorry, didn't realise you'd just had a baby! Thongs prob not the issue! But if it helps someone else...<slopes off feeling silly>

aliceliddell Sat 01-Oct-11 18:25:34

cranberry tablets or capsules are better, theres not much active ingredient in juice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now