Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Re: called after routine mammogram for further scan?

(11 Posts)
Driftwood999 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:10:54

I had my first mammogram by invitation 2 weeks ago, a very local venue, yesterday received a letter to attend the regional hospital tomorrow. How common is this?

Driftwood999 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:11:56

For further scans.

BelaLugosidreamsofzombiesheep Fri 30-Sep-11 21:38:00

There was a thread recently in gen health with a similar question; I gather its relatively common to be called back. I cant do links at the moment so can I suggest a quick search (the search is top right way above the adverts). Hope it goes ok.

Driftwood999 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:48:54

Thanks Bela' L, I will look it up.

clopper Fri 30-Sep-11 21:51:57

I was petrified when I was called back but it was nothing, I just had dense breast tissue apparently. Good luck with it.

MaryAnnSingleton Fri 30-Sep-11 22:32:47

it is fairly common to be recalled- often it's that they need a closer look to rule out anything suspicious- or dense tissue as clopper says. If you need reassurance,hand holding then do pop over to the tamoxifen thread...
here

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 02-Oct-11 10:08:01

My mum was called back because she had dense tissue, was fine no problems just needed a more experienced radiographer and she got the results while she waited as they knew being called back was stressfull.

Driftwood999 Sun 02-Oct-11 15:04:33

Well I went for the further scans, they knew where to look as it was only the underside of the right breast. After about half an hour I was called through to the doctor to be told that although I had several cysts, there is a small lump (which I could not feel) I then had ultra sound and a biopsy. I was told by the doctor there and then that he is 75% sure it is a little cancerous lump of 13mm. I return thursday week for the final diagnosis and if positive a date for surgery. It all seems so unreal, I swing between feeling very positive, it will be dealt with and put behind me, to feelings of utter terror. I've looked at some of the threads, but don't think I'm there yet as I have a 25% chance of it beinging nothing to worry about. Thought this somehow is what happens to other people....

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 02-Oct-11 16:01:18

oh driftwood,poor love- it's not a nice thing at all- and really difficult to get your head around,especially as the whole thing moves very quickly. BUT the good thing is that it's been found early (hooray for routine mammograms) and if it is cancer then be reassured that it's very treatable. The thing is to not jump ahead of yourself and take it one thing at a time - even if it's nothing,the waiting for results is hard,so you would be very welcome to share an anxieties on the tamoxifen thread.

smee Sun 02-Oct-11 20:21:34

Driftwood, poor you, but honestly hold onto what MAS says, as if it does prove to be malignant, sounds like they've caught it early and BC's genuinely very treatable these days. I'm 18 months past diagnosis now and am living life to the full. smile Come natter to us on Tamoxifen thread if it helps. We've all been through some version of it, so totally get how terrifying it all is.

Driftwood999 Sun 02-Oct-11 20:58:54

Thank you, I'm going to put it away for a few days, recently got back into a few sporty things and I want to get my mind and body moving before any restrictions put upon me. Also want to sleep! I'm signing off until I hear anything new. I'm half expecting a phone call from gp in the week. Thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now