Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

failure to locate cervix during smear test

(11 Posts)
GeorgeEliot Fri 30-Sep-11 10:40:58

This morning I was supposed to have a smear test - but the nurse tried several times with different sized speculum and said she couldn't get to it properly. She suggested I rebook another appointment with a different more experienced nurse.
I'm 47, I've been having smear tests for years and never had this happen before.
Anyone else experienced this? feeling quite weird and uncomfortable about it - and annoyed that I have to go through another unpleasant procedure in a month's time.

shitmagnet Fri 30-Sep-11 11:26:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YourCallIsImportant Fri 30-Sep-11 11:28:08

This happened to my DM. She gets the same nurse each time and when the nurse couldn't find it, DM said 'well you were the last person to touch it, what did you do with it?'

floramckitchen Fri 30-Sep-11 16:24:54

Thats odd - I had a smear on wednesday and the nurse asked if my cervix liked to hide! I said not that I know of as never heard of this before. But - surprise surprise when she had a look she said ' i think your cervix was listening to me' its hiding.
Thank god she managed to find it and do the smear........ weird

RedRubyBlue Fri 30-Sep-11 16:26:33

Yes, the last one I had. The nurse then got a colleague in and she got it first time.

GeorgeEliot Fri 30-Sep-11 17:55:47

Thanks all - interesting, and glad I'm not the only one. Had no idea that part of my anatomy could be so elusive!

lucyspangle Fri 30-Sep-11 20:00:20

Yes been through same experience last week.
Had to 'go in' a second time with a smaller speculum then found it
Was also a bit worried by experience as previous times they have found it no probs

MangoMonster Fri 30-Sep-11 20:01:56

Have had the same, but all worked out in the end, was painful though. Something to do with a kink in vagina or something...

olivo Fri 30-Sep-11 21:03:34

I get this quite often - pillow under the bum usually does the job.

rosycheeksandasmile Fri 30-Sep-11 21:37:06

This happened to me when a gynaecologist was doing it -something to do with the positioning and they did it eventually when I was under GA having a laparoscopy

RedRubyBlue Sat 01-Oct-11 22:49:43

To add to my previous post. The nurse that came in afterwards 'complimented' me on my 'strong' muscles and said 'you are lucky. Your fanny will never fall out.'

shock

hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now