Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fibroids

(9 Posts)
emee Thu 29-Sep-11 15:53:44

Hi, has anyone been treated for fibroids. My GP has discussed the options with me; surgery etc, and has told me to make a hospital appt for tests, but (as usual) was very vague about this and he told me "there's lots of info out there".
Does anyone else know more?
Appreciate any info/replies please confused

mancinleics Fri 30-Sep-11 00:08:30

I'm interested into responses to this. I've recently had my first DC after having fibroids increase dramatically during pregnancy and have basically been told that nothing will be done until I either have difficulty conceiving or complete my family.

Find gynae/GP vague too...

yummybunny Fri 30-Sep-11 09:25:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emee Fri 30-Sep-11 15:58:15

thanks yummybunny, appreciate your response, especially as I was told by a 'friend' that surgery was almost inevitable. will try another doctor I think - see what they say smile

MavisHusbandsBosworth Wed 05-Oct-11 18:00:42

I have very recently undergone treatment for fibroids. I had fibroid embolisation. I was offered four of five other treatments but discussed them all with a Consultant and it was agreed that embolisation was the most appropriate option.

bellahen Wed 05-Oct-11 20:19:20

hi i have fibroids, my doctor said there were several things i could do, have a loop thing fitted,have a operation to remove them,have a womb scrape, i settled for some tablets,northastrone, they stop your periods for things like if your going on holiday and your "due" ect. i only take mine when ive been bleeding for more than 10 days about every other month(!) and only until ive stopped for 30 days, i find that the best route for me as im 50 now and was told the same that when you start the meno they seem to fade away. hope this helps a little

nancythursday Wed 05-Oct-11 21:48:07

I'm seeing a consultant on Monday about my fibroids, i've got a huge one. It grew when I was pregnant (ds2 now 6 months old)

My mum had them and was given tablets, but my consultant says that they don't give them out anymore, that they do more harm than good.

I saw the consultant through most of my pregnancy and had to have an elcs because of the size of the damn thing.

She told me that my best bet would be an injection. Surgery has never been mentioned.

CumbrianCooBeastie Wed 05-Oct-11 22:15:52

Hey, Emee. I just a hysterectomy a few weeks ago for some large fibroids (am only 39). In general, no surgery is the best option, depending on how fast/large they grow, and how many symptoms they give you (they are not, in themselves, painful). I had no choice about the surgery however, since they were pressing on nerves, compressing my bladder, squashing my bowel up towards my ribs and also covered in endometriosis, which IS bloody painful. So ask anything you like, I feel almost knowledgeable enough to do my own surgery on this now wink

wicketkeeper Thu 06-Oct-11 21:47:08

Hi emee
I also have a large fibroid, for which I've just started a course of injections. In and of themselves fibroids pose no problem - but as they grow they can press on parts that shouldn't be pressed on (mine was pressing on my bladder causing leakage at inopportune moments). My Consultant would really like me to have a hysterectomy, but I feel that for me it seems like a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut (I'm 50 so the menopause can't be far away!!). He felt that embolisation wouldn't reduce it enough, so we have gone down the injection route (Zoladex), which should lead to a 50% reduction. I have one a month for 6 months (have had 1 so far), which brings on the menopause temporarily. I don't think it's made much of a difference to the size so far, although my DH thinks it has (I'm quite thin, so it's pretty obvious and I look about 5 months pregnant) - but the bladder issues seem to have been sorted out already.

Don't let yourself be pressured into anything that you don't feel is right for you - much depends on how old you are, whether you want to have more children, and what problems your fibroids are causing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now