Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

NHS referral times

(8 Posts)
mangopudding Thu 29-Sep-11 10:02:37

Is it normal to wait 12 weeks for an appointment to see a consultant? Is there any way I can bring the appointment forward? Thanks.

AKMD Thu 29-Sep-11 10:41:04

It depends what it is for but from my own experience this year, it isn't unusual sad It is worth phoning the hospital and asking to be put on a short-notice waiting list so that if someone cancels at the last moment they can call you, and also speaking to your GP to see if they feel that it is a reasonable waiting period.

I know when I was waiting to see a consultant I had panic attacks and was sometimes unable to look after DS properly because I was physically unable to function. It is definitely worth speaking to your GP if you are having anything like that going on so that they can help you.

mangopudding Thu 29-Sep-11 10:56:23

Thanks, AKMD. I just called the hosptial but they said at the moment there is no cancellations. No sure whether to go back to GP or not because when I insisted on a referral, GP was saying that I was being over anxious and worrying too much.

AKMD Thu 29-Sep-11 11:19:22

Oh dear, that really does sound tough. The fact that your GP referred you to a consultant shows that they don't think you're being too over-anxious though; they don't just do that to make patients happy. Is there another GP at the practice who you could see to ask for a bit of pushing?

mangopudding Thu 29-Sep-11 11:26:52

GP only made the referral because I kept on going back to her. She didn't think there is anything wrong but she could see how worried I was. It's a dematology appointment, by the way. Thanks for your help, AKMD.

AKMD Thu 29-Sep-11 12:20:15

Ok, hope there really is nothing wrong smile

vickylou2004 Thu 29-Sep-11 14:33:02

I've got to wait 9 weeks, to see a rheumatologist, got my appointment through this morning!

I think you can call to be put on the cancellation list?

mangopudding Thu 29-Sep-11 14:53:18

Hospital said there is no cancellation list - just have to keep on phoning them to check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now