Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone else take Naproxen? and if so, do you get bad heartburn

(6 Posts)
Saltire Wed 28-Sep-11 18:07:08

and acid reflux?
I've had bad acid/heartburn on and off for years, and occasionally have to take doses of Omeprazole.
The GP started me on naproxen, full time (as opposed to before when it was on an as and when needed basis) and I didn't link teh heartburn to the naproxen until today. i didn't have any over the weekend so didn't take any between friday am and this morning, and the heartburn is back quite bad, within an hour of taking it!

littleshinyone Wed 28-Sep-11 18:09:54

this is a common sideeffect of lots of this type of medication- naproxen being one of the best of a bad bunch- it can also increase your risk of something like a stomach ulcer.

It is common practice to prescribe regular omeprazole while taking naproxen, so while it is difficult to advise over the internet, not knowing anything about you, I would advise to cut down naproxen if you can, take reg omeprazole, and go back to your GP and explain what's happened- maybe there is an alternative to the naproxen?

good luck!

Saltire Wed 28-Sep-11 18:15:22

Is it ok to take Naproxen though as it says on teh leaflet not to take heartburn/indegstion remedies 2 hours before or after naproxen.

I think I'll stop taking it just now, flare up is manageable with just co-codamol I think

littleshinyone Wed 28-Sep-11 20:08:32

yeah, you can take them together (hadn't heard of the 2 hours thing before), if you can manage with the cocodamol, try with just that until you see your GP ....

deardear Wed 28-Sep-11 20:13:56

It gave me a H pylori ulcer within 2 weeks of starting on it.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Wed 28-Sep-11 20:20:48

I take 500 mg x 2 a day and have no problems but durign my recent hospital stay they gave me lanzoprazole to make sure that this and the codeine didn't wreck my stomach,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now