Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shaking hands/arms

(12 Posts)
AbsDuWolef Wed 28-Sep-11 16:05:39

I've always had hands that shake a bit, and for e.g. if i'm doing some exercises my legs shake (particularly if I'm tired). I've previously put this down to just the way I am, but today my left hand is shaking constantly (though not when it's resting, if i'm trying to hold something or type).

I had a quick look at the internet, which freaked me out no end with talk of parkinsons and strokes. I am very tired and quite stressed at the moment, and was just wondering if anyone could give any advice?

TIA

stitchthis Wed 28-Sep-11 21:52:31

Get thee to the doctor. Avoid google at all costs. The doctor will 99% certainly be able to put your mind at rest. No point in worrying alone. I'm speaking as someone with PD so I'm well aware there are loads of (non scary) reasons for shakes too. You have statistically a v low chance of it being PD. Good luck with it tho, worrying is a bitch isn't it?

dizzyblonde Thu 29-Sep-11 16:48:34

If your hands do not shake at rest it is almost certainly not Parkinsons. My right hand shakes when I'm trying to do something and the GP said it was an essential familiar tremor and has put be on a low dose of a beta blocker which has sorted it out. Good Luck

stitchthis Thu 29-Sep-11 20:37:52

My hands don't shake at rest. Sorry. I think the hardest thing here is that it's so bloody hard to define symptoms.

Pinot Fri 30-Sep-11 14:43:51

How's your blood pressure? Is your heart racing? Also sometimes this can be a side-effect of meds (particularly asthma meds). Hope you're OK love.

dizzyblonde Fri 30-Sep-11 18:53:30

I's very embarrassing, people tend to think you have a drink problem, I would have as I can't raise a full glass to my lips if I forget to take my pills.

DeWe Fri 30-Sep-11 19:50:24

Don't hands shake with Parkinsons because of a side effect from the medication rather than the disease?

If I'm low on blood sugar I can shake after exercise.

stitchthis Fri 30-Sep-11 20:45:17

dizzy I think I might know you thru other channels...can't be that many of us out there...

ArthurPewty Fri 30-Sep-11 20:46:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dizzyblonde Fri 30-Sep-11 21:21:59

Stitchthis PM me as I'm being a bit blonde.smile

stitchthis Fri 30-Sep-11 22:15:45

Am on my phone so can't. Will do once online.

AbsDuWolef Sun 02-Oct-11 21:53:52

I'm back!

I have very low blood pressure (so much so doctor's go hmm when they see it), so could that be it? I was also really tired and have been stressed out for a weeks. And had just found out a mouse was living in my drawer and eating my cereal bars - the bastard.

Will see if it comes back and then get me to a doctor. I was freaked. out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now