Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you go to work send your DC to school with any of these?

(11 Posts)
nappyaddict Wed 28-Sep-11 11:02:40

Obviously not all at the same time grin

I have just come across something that says:

Conditions where there is no recommended period to be kept away from school (once the child is well):

influenza; cold sores (HSV); molluscum contagiosum; ringworm (tinea); athlete's foot; roseola; slapped cheek disease (parvovirus); warts and verrucae; conjunctivitis; glandular fever; head lice; non-meningiococcal meningitis; thread worm; tonsillitis; hand, foot and mouth disease

Would you take (once the child is well) to mean has not got a temperature?

Bugsy2 Wed 28-Sep-11 11:12:01

I've gone to work when at death's door with flu, tonsillitis, salmonella, glandular fever & slipped discs etc - so would probably go with all of those illnesses if I had to.
Sending kids to school is slighlty different but Athletes Foot and warts & verrucae would have to be a yes. Probably yes to cold sores & molluscum & thread worms - but would obviously be treating them. Not sure what the ettiquette is on head lice - but would probably be so grossed out that I would have to take a day off work to comb the little b@st@rds out of the kids hair. Probably not with the other things, because I think the children would be poorly.
Been very fortunate really to have healthy kids!

AMumInScotland Wed 28-Sep-11 11:15:12

I'd say that "well" for many of those would be "the symptoms have gone", and for some "the sypmptoms have gone and they don't feel too rough" - the temperature would only be part of that.

feedthegoat Wed 28-Sep-11 11:20:52

It took about 3 months to get rid of the verrucca ds had. It didn't cause him any problems so I think keeping him off school would have been utterly irresponsible. I have only kept ds off for things like chicken pox, vomiting and the 1st day of a cold when he tends to have a raging temp and vomit.

nappyaddict Wed 28-Sep-11 11:31:39

feedthegoat Would you send him on the 2nd day of a cold if he still had a temperature (38 or 39?)

feedthegoat Wed 28-Sep-11 11:39:52

No, but he generally does follow the same pattern. He gets a sniffle and then gets a stonking temp of about 39 really quickly and vomits. Next day he usually just moves on to an average cold.

Obviously I wouldn't send him with a temp, mainly because he always throws up with one. It is unusual for it to go on for 2 days though it has happened once or twice. But it doesn't matter what the illness is, he is always sick! If he starts to sneeze, I make sure I know where the 'sick bowl' is before bed. I think I have the worlds most vomity child!

SweetGrapes Wed 28-Sep-11 11:42:16

DS had conjunctivitis. I had had my knuckles rapped for keeping him home with an ear ache so this time I called both NHS direct and the school (fully expecting to be told to stay away) and was asked to bring him in as at that time his eye was not weeping.
Dd's school - keep home even if she's sneezes. They call me to collect for the slightest thing.
So really it depends on the school.

Ds is in a new academy that is working on it's attendance rates and dd has sen and is in a special school.

Anxietyone Wed 28-Sep-11 11:44:27

Headlice are so easily passed on in a school that its not fair to send your child to school untreated,as by the end of the day most kids in the class could have them. So begins the cycle of infestation as they constantly pass them from one to another. A child can be sent home if teachers spot live lice on a childs head.
Hope this helps

bluelaguna Wed 28-Sep-11 11:49:38

Well I think you would send a child to school with a verucca wouldn't you?

startail Wed 28-Sep-11 11:57:43

Conductivitis no because it's faddishly infectious (thank you DD, hers cleared up by itself I had to go to the Dr.) and doesn't last long if treated.
A lot of other things on the list hang about for months or are so easy to catch again that they make no sense to miss school for. If DDs class missed school for lice or my class for verruccus (sp?) it wouldn't be worth employing a teacher.
Slapped cheap is really weird, I think all DD2s class had it, certainly she and several of the children at her 5 birthday party look very rosy cheeked in the pictures. A few children were off school with it a couple weeks earlier, but their mums were mystified as to why they were keeping them off school because the rash was so vague and came and went and they weren't particularly ill. By the time DDs class got it the Mum's seemed to have just decide to ignore it. No one dared say as much wink

startail Wed 28-Sep-11 11:59:13

My iPod has autocorrectitis this morningblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now