Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Physical pain associated with postnatal depression?

(6 Posts)
Rosieeo Tue 27-Sep-11 21:16:06

That's it really, in a nutshell. Has anyone had or heard of anyone who has experienced extreme physical pain (abdominal in this case) a couple of months post birth and had it linked to postnatal depression?

Thanks

zen1 Tue 27-Sep-11 22:26:07

Hi, I don't know if this is what you mean, but after I had my second child I suffered a year of physical pain (linked to a tear at delivery). The pain was so bad at times I couldn't think about anything else and felt I couldn't enjoy my lovely baby. I think as a result of the pain I started to suffer from postnatal depression and even after I ahd properly healed (12 months later), I then had a further year of being depressed and felt in a very dark place. I also believe that being depressed and anxious in itself can magnify pain and even cause pain in some instances.

Rosieeo Tue 27-Sep-11 23:09:17

The pain isn't directly linked with delivery, but what you said about depression magnifying pain is interesting. It's not me, but someone I'm really worried about at the moment. She's been given no explanations for her pain and is understandably upset. Thanks for your help.

MadameDefarge Tue 27-Sep-11 23:16:44

I had a friend who had this and her gp put her on ADs and it went.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 28-Sep-11 00:25:29

I've heard of pain being caused by 'normal' depression - so clinical, but not post-natal - so I believe that it can be cause by PND.

Also a lack of serotonin (as you get with depression) can make existing pain feel worse. Sort of 2 sides of a shit, painful coin.

Rosieeo Wed 28-Sep-11 22:35:47

It does sound really shitty. Tests all negative, docs don't seem to be interested but the pains appear to be excruciating at times. Postnatal depression would be the icing on a poo pie really.

Thanks again for all help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now