Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Racing heart - should I be worried?

(18 Posts)
twinky Tue 27-Sep-11 10:55:28

In the last few weeks I've had 3 episodes each lasting a couple of minutes when my heart has started to race. I've been sitting down during 2 of them and not doing anything strenuous, but can feel it pounding away. I've also had times when I feel a bit weak and lightheaded as if I've not eaten enough, although I have. Should I be concerned? I am otherwise fine and not on any medication.

Iamseeingstars Tue 27-Sep-11 11:05:58

Go to the doctor and get checked out.

poppycat04 Tue 27-Sep-11 11:10:22

Yup you need to go see your GP asap

twinky Tue 27-Sep-11 11:19:36

Okeydokey. You've both just said what I was wondering. Thanks.

diddl Tue 27-Sep-11 12:45:19

I´ll third that!

Ephiny Tue 27-Sep-11 12:50:04

Could it be anxiety? Agree about getting it checked out though.

sausagesandmarmelade Tue 27-Sep-11 12:53:49

I'd be interested to know your age....

Could well be down to hormones....or anxiety. Definitely not necessarily anything spooky.

Well worth having a chat with your GP....

nonemus Tue 27-Sep-11 13:03:17

this could be a panic attack but your gp should check it out.

jellybeans Tue 27-Sep-11 13:38:34

I would go but don't worry too much, it could be anxiety, just a skipped beat, drinking alot of tea/coffee etc.

Happymuppet Tue 27-Sep-11 14:04:01

Ask to be checked for Hyperthryoidism maybe. Its one of the symptoms! I had it badly...i could just sit and feel my heart beat with any physical touching of the pulse. I had Graves Disease..again!

twinky Tue 27-Sep-11 14:13:27

Thanks everyone. I'm 39 so I would have thought too young for hormones? I don't feel anxious about anything and have never had panic attacks. However, I'll make an appointment to see my GP and get it checked out.

zara206y Wed 28-Sep-11 14:18:48

you must request a T3 & T4 check (for thryoid probs) as they dont usually include them unless told too. If there is a history within the family too it follows suit in most cases. Sorry to bang on about it but one of the symptoms of Hyperthryoidism is Taccycardia (rapid heart rate).

MooncupGoddess Wed 28-Sep-11 14:21:36

As everyone says - go to the GP. And start making notes of when/how often it happens - they'll probably want to do an ECG (which is not a big deal at all so don't worry) but your heart may not misbehave to order!

Drink a glass of water next time it happens (dehydration can be a factor). Ice-cold water is even better as it triggers the vagus nerve which may sort your heart out.

nonemus Thu 29-Sep-11 06:57:54

this can be caused by many things, most of them minor. However I attended a funeral a couple of years ago for someone who died young - this was the first symptom of their heart problems.

StealthPolarBear Thu 29-Sep-11 07:00:46

oh dear mine does this sometimes too, always has as far as I know, just thought it was normal. Maybe once or twice a month.

sausagesandmarmelade Thu 29-Sep-11 12:56:54

I really wouldn't worry stealthpolarbear, palpitations are really really common. Worth having a chat with your GP if you are worried though...and having some basic checks done.

I really REALLY wish people would let others know the results of their investigations after they have expressed health concerns on here...as it may well reassure others having the same probs.

I had a spate of palpitations a year or so ago...sometimes it lasted for over an hour. GP referred me to a cardiologist. Went on a 24 hour monitor...and everything was just fine. He put it down to anxiety in the end and recommended some techniques to help if it happened again...ie controlled breathing.

Perhaps the OP will come back and tell us what happened with her!?

nonemus Fri 30-Sep-11 07:59:22

most of those feeling something strange have ectopic beats. They are extremely common and usually harmless. But a racing heart is not quite the same. So stealthpolarbear read about them here www.londonarrhythmiacentre.co.uk/diagnosis-ectopics.html and see if that sounds like you.

Redumbdancy Fri 30-Sep-11 13:45:39

Oh bugger, I'd been ignoring my racing heart and trembling left arm/hand.

There is also a history of some quite severe thyroid problems in my family - off to the docs I go.

Hope you get an answer Twinky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now