Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Child-proof pill box

(10 Posts)
zeno Tue 27-Sep-11 10:30:10

Please, someone somewhere must sell a child-resistant pill container that can go in a hand-bag or pocket?!

I have looked and looked irl and online but nothing seems to be on the market.

I have to take strong painkillers throughout the day, so of course they're in my handbag. The only container I have to use is a cylinder type with a child-proof cap on it, but it's way bigger than I need, horribly indiscreet and rattles all the time. DD (age 3) wants to shake it when she sees it - not helpful!

I'm genuinely afraid about this situation. If there's not anything sensible on the market, what creative solutions have people come up with? I can't be the only one with a child and a medical condition that requires me to take pills elsewhere than at home?

Elk Tue 27-Sep-11 11:50:42

Could you stuff it with cotton wool so it doesn't make a noise?

I always have co-codamol and syndol in my handbag but they come in blister packs and I keep them in a zipped up part of my bag that the dd's don't go into.

veryfedupatthemoment Tue 27-Sep-11 16:08:09

If you ask at a pharmacy they may be happy to give you a small pill bottle with a childproof lid. The sort they might put a sticker on for prescribed tablets. I have had one before for stuff that comes in a massive container when you just want to carry a few.

zeno Wed 28-Sep-11 15:41:48

Thanks for your suggestions - it's nice to know others have had this problem.

Have tried cotton wool but it keeps eating tablets and makes them very fiddly to get out of the container.

The blister pack in a zipped section is what I do most of the time now, but I'm worried that dd will find her way in there one day. She's that sort of kid.

Tried three local pharmacies, all of whom looked at me blankly when I asked for a small container. Maybe I need to spread the net wider!

magso Wed 28-Sep-11 18:26:32

I use a tiny key ring with a small screw topped pill holder. Because the holder is attached to my keys it's always with me and is noisy. It's a key ring available from outdoor shops aimed at keeping things dry. It is not child proof but is fiddle enough to discourage very small hands so may suit. the only snag is it is too tiny to hold tablets in their packaging, but a bigger note holder may be suitable perhaps?

magso Wed 28-Sep-11 19:20:38

Try googling secure pill chain. Sorry cannot link as on pad.

zeno Wed 28-Sep-11 20:00:04

Note holder thing sounds lovely and compact. Found this one. It wouldn't be dd-proof though, which is the main issue.

Am I over-worrying this? I'm not sure I have a good sense of risk as our older dd died aged 4 (not from accidental pills). Should I just carry on with the blister pack in a zipped bag section?

magso Wed 28-Sep-11 22:45:28

Its a realistic fear so something unattractive to children must be better. I did find a plastic 'secure' pill key holder from the states ( about the size of a key light)and another lockable one but cannot do the link. Ds (11) did not discover mine undid till quite recently. It is similar to the one you linked to but more rounded with central screwed join hidden bythe rubber seal which just looks like a trim. However you do have to remember to refil it as it only holds a couple of capsules, also the grey aluminium rubs off on the tablets so stainless steel or plastic lined might be better.

zara206y Thu 29-Sep-11 12:08:30

Oh well my x husband taught my son how to open bottles with child proof caps ....glad i divorced him !

magso Mon 03-Oct-11 16:00:11

After searching I could not get back to the childproof pill key chain! However at work ( hospital) I saw somone using a dinky container - designed as a portable ashtray which did the trick! amazon have some different types. Not designed to be childproof.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now