Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have you ever had a skin rash (but no other symptoms) from any of the (random) following...

(23 Posts)
Jackaroo Sat 24-Sep-11 22:51:23

Strawberries
Codeine
Red Wine
Echinacea
Latex ?!

Can't think of anything else. This time it's just head/face/neck/torso as opposed to entire coverage blush. Raised red bumps, look like random mosi bites, but they're really not! BUT no localised reactions - ie if it was food, wouldn't I have a mouth reaction?

Oh, now got an itchy leg, so maybe going for full body coverage again.

.. and these are all things I've consumed/been in contact with in the last 24 hours that don't normally feature, but have in the past smile ...

PS Only the smallest teeniest sip of wine <fervently hoping it's not wine related>

dannyblanchflower Sat 24-Sep-11 23:08:06

Yep - red wine for me. I have a friend who does the whole Jocelyn thing with codeine too.
Sadly I seem to have developed legs of hives after wearing tights...

IHeartKingThistle Sat 24-Sep-11 23:18:02

I got raised bumps all over years ago, I think it was from strawberries straight out of the field.

Jackaroo Sat 24-Sep-11 23:19:03

OMG, but did it come on suddenly or have you ALWAYS been allergic to it?
<Head cradled in hands, gibbering at prospect>

I have waited 5 bloody years to drink again, after drugs, PND etc., and THIS happens... tell me it might not be so. Is there a cure? Antihistamines aren't making a difference <sob>

Onemorning Sat 24-Sep-11 23:22:34

Yes.

Strawberries - when I pick them or when I eat loads of them.
I used to get a neck rash from some kind of white wine, but that was back in the days I liked sweetish wine, now I drink dry I don't have any problems.

Jackaroo Sat 24-Sep-11 23:23:07

Mm.. strawberrries, I could probably cope without. Did it come up immediately do you remember? I was fine when I went to bed last night, and sometime early morning the itching woke me up.

dannyblanchflower Sat 24-Sep-11 23:23:42

The cure for red wine allergy is vodka wink

Jackaroo Sat 24-Sep-11 23:25:04

<Googling the allergic thing in red wine, to check it's not in whisky>

Popbiscuit Sat 24-Sep-11 23:35:17

I used to have an allergy to red wine ( I think). One day I decided to try having a little bit every day for a few weeks which stopped me having such strong reactions to it. Now I drink a glass 4 or 5 times a week without problems. This is purely anecdotal and I'm not recommending this as a course of action.

Do you have seasonal allergies (hayfever)? I do and when they are acting up, apples and almonds (two of my favourites) make me sneeze and itch like crazy. Apparently they contain histamine which makes the normal allergy stuff much worse. I'm not sure if strawberries are similarly histamine containing but might be worth checking out?

Jackaroo Sat 24-Sep-11 23:44:02

Thanks popbiscuit - I really only had 2 sips last night, so don't know how low I could go without getting a reaction!

Apples, mm..another thing I've had this weekend that I don't often. Interestingly, i've been having hayfever symptoms recently which I haven't for years... feel like Poirot (probably look more like Miss Marple)

exexpat Sat 24-Sep-11 23:52:22

I get the red wine thing sometimes (seems to depend on the wine). I also have hayfever and a couple of other allergies, plus urticaria.

Related things seem to be ketchup, strawberries, and soy sauce - both the DCs used to get red blotches around their mouths when they had those as babies, but it never developed into full-blown allergies, and they have grown out of it now.

I recommend antihistamines and white wine/vodka. grin

Daisy1986 Sun 25-Sep-11 00:08:05

Both strawberries and tomatoes have high levels of histimine in them and very common to that sort of rash. My DD gets a rash on the inside of her elbows if she eats either.

Im slightly allergic to latex if prolonged contact ie if I wear latax gloves when doing first aid my hands will swell a little be red and blotchy and really itchy. But if i go to Dr.s or dentists etc then im fine.

Id go with the above poster antihistimines and see if it goes away.

Jackaroo Sun 25-Sep-11 00:15:37

Took hives-strength antihistamines each time, not noticed any reduction in symptoms at all. Does that, by definition, mean it's not an allergy?

PS Daisy - it's the lack of localised reaction that baffles me, no mouth rash (inside or out) with strawbs or wine, no..ahem... localised reaction to latex either inside or out smile

exexpat Sun 25-Sep-11 00:35:51

If antihistamines aren't working, it could be something else - I just googled codeine + rash, and it looks like urticaria allergic-type reactions are a possible side-effect. Is it getting better? When did you last take anything containing codeine? and is it something you have taken before? If it's not essential, maybe avoid taking the next dose and see if things calm down a bit.

Daisy1986 Sun 25-Sep-11 01:00:25

Could it be a washing powder allergy? or ssomething instead of something you've eaten? Ive not read your previous posts but sometimes Ive had a eraction to that later in the day even if Ive had the same clothes on all day as had my DD. You could try a quick bath/shower just to see although a bit late now?

Jackaroo Sun 25-Sep-11 03:01:49

Thanks for the further advice, sorry I went awol am in Oz, so daytime. Not a soap allergy daisy, and pp, I've been tested for auto immune markers, which are raised, further tests arranged, but I realised last time was the weekend too..only time I take codeine to sleep with back probs..and last time had some red wine as was birthday!

Another extra, just been to church and my mouth feels prickly, lips tingly, communion wine hmm ...
Did notice it was a new type (double hmm)
Plot thickens..

nightcat Sun 25-Sep-11 14:54:43

I think you might be becoming deficient in liver enzymes processing codeine & alcohol, I would ask for liver & kidney function test.
Your symptomms are mentioned as side effects of codeine on wiki, which basically means that your liver is less able to handle these.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 25-Sep-11 15:03:16

Strawberries. All over red rash but connected with eating too many rather than an allergy.

What about the cold/heat? What's the weather like over there. I get hives on cold exposed areas and PLE (allergy to sunlight) - hormonal element to that too.

letsblowthistacostand Sun 25-Sep-11 22:11:53

Laundry detergent/fabric softener reaction will build up over time, which do you use? Also could be your body wash or shampoo/conditioner, products you use to clean the bath...

differentnameforthis Mon 26-Sep-11 13:14:51

My latex allergy started as a rash & continued to show as just that for several months until I found out what it was that was causing said rash. Didn't make the connection until my eyes swelled shut one day.

And it just randomly came on, after over 5yrs of wearing latex gloves every day (dental nurse) and worsened to the point now where my throat tightens & I get chapped lips/sneeze, itchy swollen eyes. That was my latest reaction, over 8yrs ago. Since then, I avoid it like the plague.

yes strawberries. Although my lips went tingly/numb too.

Jackaroo Mon 26-Sep-11 14:33:50

Thanks for all those answers - I am interested in the idea of Liver enzymes, and my gp has just request LFTs (liver function tests) as well as checking my usual iron/vit d3 problems... will have to ask what made her think of it (unless it was mentioning hte rash :-)

cheers, will come back if I ever find out!

MrsBlarney Mon 26-Sep-11 16:44:57

Bed bugs? <helpful>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now