Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anybody else taking Metoprolol for palpitations?

(17 Posts)
Tequilamockinbird Sat 24-Sep-11 14:38:01

Having being diagnosed with WPW a few months ago, GP has prescribed Metoprolol for the palpitations/flutters.

I've only been taking them for 6 days but they seem to be making the palpitations worse!

I'm not due back at GP until the week after next so thought I'd ask if anybody else took these, and if they do the same for you?

carocaro Sat 24-Sep-11 18:21:02

can't help but interested in you diagnosis, what were your symptoms and were they linked to panic attacks?

Tequilamockinbird Sat 24-Sep-11 19:16:41

Symptoms were my heart 'fluttering' and skipping beats, and tiredness. That's all really! I was sent for an ECG and WPW was picked up there.

Yes, I also had panic attacks which GP initially thought were due to coming off AD's too quickly. Apparently though, WPW can cause them

Tequilamockinbird Sun 25-Sep-11 09:05:34

Bump

noarguments Sun 25-Sep-11 09:55:53

Sorry can't help, bumping for you with interest though (bump / hijack?) . I came on here to ask about fluttering sensations which I've had since Friday, and wondering whether GP trip was in order.
Feeling reasonably OK otherwise, although tired as have had cold recently. Might be imagining it, but seems like I'm breathing a bit more heavily than normal. What is WPW?

Tequilamockinbird Sun 25-Sep-11 12:17:53

It's Wolff Parkinson White, a condition which, if you have it, you are apparently born with! However symptoms generally only show themselves once you're in your 30's or 40's. Or that's what I've found from research anyway!

If you put 'British heart foundation WPW information sheet' into Google, there's some info there. Sorry I can't link it for you but I'm on my phone and haven't mastered linking from here yet blush

The fluttering sensation is awful, I sometimes think I'm having a heart attack! My Cardiologist doesn't seem to think that they're dangerous though, they just feel worse than they are.

lisad123 Sun 25-Sep-11 19:53:05

Im on my forth set of heart drugs as I struggled with all of them. Beta blockers made me too tired to function, channel blockers made me feel sick all day and mepratol made heart rate worse sad they really do have to muck about with dosages for a while so might be worth making a visit back to GP.

Tequilamockinbird Sun 25-Sep-11 20:18:06

GP did say they may have to increase my dosage Lisa but tbh, if just 50mg makes me worse then I'm not sure I want to take any more.

I do feel really tired on these beta/blockers and sometimes a bit dizzy too but thought maybe my body will get used to them over time. How long did you take them for before them being changed, if you don't mind me asking?

lisad123 Sun 25-Sep-11 20:22:37

I managed a month before I have in sad I couldn't keep eyes open passed 1pm, which is never good with little ones confused

Tequilamockinbird Sun 25-Sep-11 20:37:43

Oh dear sad

I'm going to give it until next week at least, then see what GP says. I've got an appointment with Cardiologist on 27th October aswell, and I have a feeling he wants to do an ablation sad

lisad123 Sun 25-Sep-11 20:40:43

I had a eps study on Friday with a view of ablation, if they could find right problem, but just ended up with ep study.
Where are you based? I had mine in London st marys, let me know if you want some hints smile

Tequilamockinbird Sun 25-Sep-11 20:46:41

I'm in North East, mine will be at Freeman Hospital. What is eps study? Is that the treadmill test etc?

Cardiologist has previously mentioned taking me in and hooking me up to something to see if he can pinpoint the problem - not too sure what that entails but would be done under GA apparently!

lisad123 Sun 25-Sep-11 21:15:49

EP study is when they have you in and insert wires though your veins and then try and make your heart misfire or upset electric pathways. Done under local but same things as ablation apart from no lazer of the electrodes.

Tequilamockinbird Sun 25-Sep-11 21:22:40

Gosh, that sounds awful!!

I have quite a severe phobia of all things medical, so I think that must be why they want to do stuff to me under GA!

I'm hoping that they can just control this with drugs though and I don't need any surgery <crosses everything>

lisad123 Sun 25-Sep-11 21:30:48

I don't think they can do it under general as you need to beable to tell them what's happening.
I don't remember much of it but think they dosed me up as pain was bad and I was crying blush
But its not that bad an over quite quickly.

Tequilamockinbird Sun 25-Sep-11 21:33:55

Oh no! They'd have to at least sedate me, or I'd be fainting, throwing up and all sorts!

Thanks for sharing that Lisa, I shall wait and see what the doctors say. Need to get this sorted 1 way or another, it's driving me up the wall sad

lisad123 Sun 25-Sep-11 21:35:46

Yes they do sedate you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now