Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does anyone else get a feeling in their throat when they are stressed?

(11 Posts)
twankie Sat 24-Sep-11 09:53:37

have been stressed and run down for several months..I've got swollen glands and for the past 3 weeks there feels like there is a fishbone stuck in my throat. Someone said it often happens to them when they are stressed. I haven't had it before but wondering if others had?

WorzselMummage Sat 24-Sep-11 09:57:40

Yeah it's a known symptom of anxiety and stress. It's probable worth mentioning it to a dr though, especially of your glands are up.

I suffer with anxiety and the physical symptoms can be amazing. this is a good list

I imagine being really stressed can cause much the same problems.

Hope you get a chance to relax soon smile

wellwisher Sat 24-Sep-11 10:11:10

I have heard of this - it's called globus

HaveALittleFaithBaby Sat 24-Sep-11 10:18:47

Yup I woke up with that this week. I've had it many times....strepsils and paracetamol help me.

coffeeinbed Sat 24-Sep-11 11:44:42

I feel my throat muscles - are there any there, btw? - tense and vibrating.
Very funny feeling.

twankie Sun 25-Sep-11 06:34:05

thanks..this sounds like it - how long does it take to go away..one piece of research I came across said 21-27 months!

HaveALittleFaithBaby Sun 25-Sep-11 10:03:43

Usually goes within a week.

thenightisyoung Sun 25-Sep-11 21:05:52

Yup, very classic anxiety. Yu said your glands are up - are you sure? Sometimes you can feel so tense when you're anxious that your throat feels aching and swollen.

twankie Sun 25-Sep-11 22:22:37

oh.. perhaps that is it.. I didn't realise that could happen thenightisyoung.. it's been a week and a half now since I cd feel the thing in my throat tho my throat was swollen for ages before that

FannyLogan Sun 25-Sep-11 22:26:40

I had this - globus pharangeus (?sp), which is apparntly latin for 'lump in your throat' hmm

Mine took a few months to go IIRC. I got it after a death in the family.

lucjam Sun 25-Sep-11 22:26:49

its called globus hystericus and is a stress related condition, don't keep swallowing it makes the musle spasm worse, just try to forget about it. i love the name, kind of says it all really!! i've had this on and off for about 7 years, had camera down my throat but all ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now