Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Seasonal Flu Jab - Egg Intolerance

(5 Posts)
LukeWarmMomma Fri 23-Sep-11 17:57:41

My DM has a mild intolerance to eggs - she can eat them in cakes, pancakes etc. BUT not by themselves ie boiled, poached or fried etc. she gets tummy ache. My DM is in the at risk group (shes 71 and has diabetes) but after some tests at the local hospital when she mentioned this problem about eggs was advised to mention this to her doctor when Flu jab time comes around - she has now been told that she can't have the jab by the practice nurse, but offered no alternative. Would anyone know if there is an alternative? she surely can't be the only person who has an egg intolerance but needs the Flu jab. Any help or advice would be appreciated as my DM is worrying her self sick - she lives alone and I live too far away to help her if she is ill. TIA

Footle Fri 23-Sep-11 19:30:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LukeWarmMomma Fri 23-Sep-11 20:51:39

The doctor is going to give DM a call on Monday (hopefully, they are notorious for not ringing back!) to discuss, so hopefully it can be sorted out. Just concerned because practice nurse just cancelled DM's appointment without any discussion or even waiting to see what doctor said! Thanks for your reply.

NoodieRoodie Fri 23-Sep-11 21:02:39

She should be fine to have it, about 6 years ago I had it and had a major panic in the waiting room when I read the info. sheet stating you shouldn't have it if you have egg allergies. As a child I swelled up like a balloon when I ate eggs now I'm like your DM. I chatted to the very sensible experienced practise nurse who said that if I could eat cakes, etc.. then I wasn't allergic and would be fine to have the jab.

Hopefully once your DM has chatted to the GP she should be fine.

LukeWarmMomma Fri 23-Sep-11 21:36:07

Noodie thanks, I'll tell my DM - that will reassure her smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now