Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quick question about penicillin and thrush, if anyone can help?

(7 Posts)
LeBOF Fri 23-Sep-11 12:53:12

Have just got back from GP with penicillin for a chest infection, and he also prescribed diflucan for the inevitable thrush which will follow (I'm very prone to it anyway). I think he said to wait until after the antibiotics to take it, but it's gone from my head. Does that mean that even if I get symptoms, I shouldn't take the diflucan tablet until after the seven days of penicillin?

Hope someone can help, cheers.

LeBOF Fri 23-Sep-11 19:16:54

Anyone?

LolaLadybird Fri 23-Sep-11 20:19:27

I don't know the answer but I guess the risk is that if you take it too early then you may have a recurring attack because of the continued antibiotics. I've had the same problem in the past and have been told to also take probiotics throughout the antibiotic course and after to repopulate the gut with all the good stuff.

Hopefully someone else will come along with a clear answer ...

wonkylegs Fri 23-Sep-11 20:21:10

Dr DH sat next to me says they will be fine to be taken together
Hth

nosleepsadie Fri 23-Sep-11 20:25:45

Fine taken together but I normally tell my patients to take at and of antibiotic course.if symptoms start, start diflucan early...you can always take another dose if you get it again. Hope you feel better soon.

nosleepsadie Fri 23-Sep-11 20:26:53

At end of antibiotic course not and! Typo.

LeBOF Fri 23-Sep-11 20:33:00

Thanks all, really appreciate that x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now