Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thinking about being Sterilized.

(14 Posts)
deemented Fri 23-Sep-11 09:50:03

Has anyone any advice?

I'm currently 18 weeks with DC5, and this will be out last baby. A part of me could go on forever having babies, but practically, financially and physically, i just can't.

I'm really not keen on going on the pill - DS3 is the result of a pill and condom failure, and i'm not happy about having lots of hormones rampaging through my body so don't really want a coil or the implant.

Manshape is on the list now to have a vasectomy, so am i mad to consider being sterilized as well?

deemented Fri 23-Sep-11 14:04:11

Bump.

deemented Fri 23-Sep-11 20:42:01

Anyone?

headfairy Fri 23-Sep-11 20:42:57

why do you think the vasectomy won't be enough?

deemented Fri 23-Sep-11 20:50:44

I don't know - i'm worried about the failure rate, the length of time it takes to get the 'all clear'. I just want to be sure that there are no accidents, yunno?

headfairy Fri 23-Sep-11 21:04:02

I'm a bit ignorant of such things... is the failure rate that high? Could you use condoms at particularly risky times of the month? It's a general anaesthetic for female sterilisations isn't it? That would be enough to put me off, but then I don't have 5 children - I can see why you feel your family is complete grin

deemented Fri 23-Sep-11 21:14:44

From what i can see, the failure for vasectomies is between 1 - 5%. It'd be our bloody luck to fall into that.

And i also have a DSS, so this one will be the 6th between us...

BelleDameSansMerci Fri 23-Sep-11 21:23:11

I had it done earlier this year. I was scared about it. For no good reason. Honestly, it's day surgery and the scar is practically invisible. I'd say go for it if you're sure you don't want any more children.

deemented Fri 23-Sep-11 21:26:00

Thanks, BDSM - did you have to really argue your case for having it done? I'm worried that my GP may and try to fob me off with a coil or somesuch. How long did it take for referral to come through?

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 23-Sep-11 21:30:20

could you not have a coil fitted and the vastectomy? sterilisation seems quite an ordeal?

deemented Fri 23-Sep-11 21:31:31

I really don't fancy a coil - all the hormones make me madder

BelleDameSansMerci Fri 23-Sep-11 21:43:19

Seriously, not much effort at all. I may be older than you though? I'm nearly 46. I can't take hormonal contraception of any kind - including Mirena coil - and copper coil gave agonising periods. I got a referral immediately. Did have to convince hospital doctor who asked why "DP" couldn't have vasectomy. I said it was because I knew I didn't want more children but he might if anything happened to me.

BelleDameSansMerci Fri 23-Sep-11 21:43:50

Hormonal contraception makes me mad too!

orangeflutie Fri 23-Sep-11 21:56:53

I was sterilised last year. DH didn't want to have a vasectomy and I'd tried the Pill first and then a Mirena coil, both gave me all sorts of side effects.

I'd say it's worth getting referred. It's a relatively minor procedure and the recovery time is quick. It's also great not having to worry about contraception anymoresmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now