Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Time out for mums

(7 Posts)
landjsmum Thu 22-Sep-11 16:49:01

Hello. New to mums net but think it's fab, so easy to get lost in! I have two kiddies 2&6.
Wondered if you all could help with an idea I have. I am a holistic therapist and love working with mum's, especially the ones who spend all their time and energy looking after others (so, all of us really).
I thought it might be nice to go into toddler groups etc and set up my mobile service so I can give mums mini treatments. The idea would be, the kids are occupied so a friend wouldn't mind watching them for 15 min, and mum can go into another room, have a little pamper then come out feeling like a real person again. It would cost £5 for 15 mins.
Would love to know what other mums think of this and if you think it would work at your groups.

Thanks

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 22-Sep-11 16:53:21

I think it's an awful idea. Toddler groups can be the seventh circle of hell, you would hear noise even from another room, you would be stressed out worrying about what your child is doing, and 15 minutes is not enough. And I am a real person thank you very much. A bit of a foot rub isn't going to change that. And a lot of your captive audience would be prgnant or breastfeeding. I understand that this may alter what you can actually offer them. But lastly, if I want pampering I'm going to book a whole hour somewhere. And a lot of people just don't have a fiver to spare.

Mandy2003 Thu 22-Sep-11 19:41:02

W-e-l-l, at the Surestart centre toddler group I used to go to, the mums could go to another room on their own for 20 mins to have tea (two at a time!) and the staff would watch their DC. And it was far enough away to be quiet! So your idea would work in a setting like that I guess.

landjsmum Mon 26-Sep-11 20:03:00

Hi. Not quite the response I was hoping for but thanks all the same! Does anyone else have any thoughts on it?

indigobarbie Mon 26-Sep-11 21:17:29

landsj, do you do any reiki?
I think it's a lovely idea, and if you could find groups where there is somewhere a bit away from the children to lessen any noise interferance then all the better. I'd ask to be guided to the right groups to try out. Also where there is enough cover for Mum's to let each other away. In fact, that could be part of your proposal. £5 for fifteen minutes is a very good rate, as we both know how much it would cost elsewhere to receive any treatments.
Also, even if you don't get anywhere with the mobile business on site at toddler groups - you'd at least gain exposure to mums who could call on you at their convenience.
Don't give up if you are guided to do itsmile

Cutelittlecatlover Tue 27-Sep-11 09:41:23

I think its a great idea, I would definitely go for that!

landjsmum Sun 02-Oct-11 19:02:56

Thank you. Worht a try then! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now