Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Come talk to me about heart stuff, PLEASE panicing here

(24 Posts)
lisad123 Thu 22-Sep-11 16:31:12

going for a Electrophysiological (EP) studies and possible Ablation. I have to travel to London St Marys. Im more worried about if Im going to have to stay in, or weather I can go home the same day.
Anyone had this done?

lisad123 Thu 22-Sep-11 17:16:43

Bump

lisad123 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:20:04

Someone has to know sad

RandomMess Thu 22-Sep-11 20:21:42

bump

Nursie999 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:30:00

Stop panicking.
First of all, ring the department tomorrow.
I assume they are doing the studies with a view to seeing whether or not ablation is necessary. It is possible that they will then book you in separately for the ablation if it is required, but I don't know St Marys normal procedures.
Most people who have an ablation done stay overnight for monitoring.
Have a look here:
British Heart Foundation Guide to Ablation

lisad123 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:34:22

I have to be there at 8am so no time to ring sad

Nursie999 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:40:29

Will it be a problem to stay overnight?
Did they give you a letter with your appointment explaining what might happen?
If it will be a problem, they will reschedule it, but you must be having some issues with arrhythmias that need to be sorted for them to be doing Electrophysiology studies.
What are you most scared about?

lisad123 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:49:48

I guess I'm more worried that if I have to stay in that I'm miles from home and dh has to leave girls with friends to come and get me. They both have SN and don't react well to change.

Nursie999 Thu 22-Sep-11 21:00:42

Lisa, everyone is different.
Depending on what happens when you do the EP studies, the doc my decide to carrry on with ablation to avoid you having another invasive procedure.
It can sometimes triggers a few arrythmias until the heart muscle settles down.
There is no way of telling exactly what you will be like. I suspect that the longer it takes, the more likely you will have to stay overnight
I know someone who had it done recently for Ventricular Tachycardia, and was on the table for 5 hours, but the sister of my sis in law was only on the table for about an hour. (She had Wolf Parkinson White syndrome)
Do you know what the underlying problem is?

Is there any chance the girls could come with your DH to collect you?

MooncupGoddess Thu 22-Sep-11 21:06:23

Good luck Lisa - the run-up to these procedures is always the worst bit! I had an ablation a few years ago and it totally sorted out the problem, I'm so grateful for it.

mynaughtylittlesister Thu 22-Sep-11 21:11:59

I have had an ablation due to VT. I was on the table for about 1and a half hrs. I was a wake but slightly sedated. I got very panicky and they just increased the sedation slightly.

Although scary at the time, if my symptoms returned I would have the ablation again without any hesitation.

I did have to stay in over night, but was let out about 11am next morning. (I had mine done at London Bridge)

lisad123 Thu 22-Sep-11 21:58:50

They aren't sure what's causing my problems at all after four years sad
My resting rate is about 120-140bpm and when exercising as high as 260bpm. Had a few A&E admissions and needed IV drugs to slow it down. Last few ECG showed inverted p waves.
Hoping this will work, I'm shattered!

lisad123 Thu 22-Sep-11 21:59:35

Thanks for messages, they are helping x

Quintessentialist Thu 22-Sep-11 22:01:24

St Marys? On Roehampton Lane?

It is a nice new hospital.

Elibean Thu 22-Sep-11 22:23:09

No, that is Queen Mary's. St Mary's is in Paddington.

Goodluck lisad, will be thinking of you x

lisad123 Fri 23-Sep-11 05:30:20

Right I'm off to get the tube, wish me luck grin

RabbitPie Fri 23-Sep-11 07:38:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mynaughtylittlesister Fri 23-Sep-11 21:57:29

How did you get on today??

misdee Fri 23-Sep-11 22:00:17

lisa is at home. resting

mynaughtylittlesister Fri 23-Sep-11 22:01:37

thanks Misdee - have thought about her today smile

lisad123 Fri 23-Sep-11 22:02:43

Well I got there at 8am and pretty much seen straight away.
It hurts where they put the tubes either side and tbh I got a lot of chest and next pain during sad
Feeling quiet sick tonight but glad to be home, after my bp finally came back to normal (had a few dizzy turns)
They didn't do any treatment and they still don't know what's wrong or why my heart rate is so quick so back to team for next move sadsad
So fed up now sad

misdee Fri 23-Sep-11 22:02:48

i havent called her yet, as didnt want to disturb her. but seems like it went ok but didnt sort out her heart issues.

misdee Fri 23-Sep-11 22:04:56

ah there she is.

xxx and hugs to you little sis.

lisad123 Fri 23-Sep-11 22:07:05

Also very angry at the team, there was so much information that would have been helpful, including about shaving, what's best to wear afterwards and thefact we should be driven! Got a right ticking off from nurses about going home on tube but hospital is middle of London, and we live 20miles away, so easiest was tube.
Also I don't know what I'm meant to be doing about dressing confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now