Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I had a general anaesthetic yesterday and still feel dopey and not 100%

(12 Posts)
nametapes Thu 22-Sep-11 10:58:30

Is this normal?
I had a gynae op yesterday afternoon at 2.30pm, and was only asleep for about 20 mins, then woke up all emotional and crying. Is this common?
Also today I am in a feeble 1st gear (usually I am in top 5th), and reasoning skills are hopeless.
They gave me 2 paracetamol and 2 Ibuprofen together, just before theatre so fairly well drugged up. Would this all add to my slow groggy manner today?
How long does it take for the anaesthetic to get out of your system? 2-3 days or less.

mistlethrush Thu 22-Sep-11 11:00:30

Takes me 3 wks I'm sorry to say - however, I think I'm quite sensitive to things like this - and have recently developed an allergy to paracetamol, asprin etc just to confirm it! Take it easy on yourself, don't expect to be back to normal, feet up on the sofa today I would suggest.

BeerTricksPotter Thu 22-Sep-11 11:04:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosa Thu 22-Sep-11 11:05:30

WHen I had my wisdom teeth out I was rough for 48 hrs , groggy , slow just couldn't connect limbs and brain. Then it slowly got a bit better and after a week I started to feel normal...

BedHog Thu 22-Sep-11 11:07:23

I didn't feel normal until at least a week-10 days after my ERPC, and I too was only under GA for less than half an hour. I spent the first couple of days in bed, followed by a few days pottering around the house, very short walks around the local park etc. It does help chatting to friends and going outside, if only to sit in the garden with a magazine.
Look after yourself this week, and don't worry, you'll feel quite a lot better in a few days. smile

lostmymind Thu 22-Sep-11 11:21:08

I'd say around 1-2 weeks. Drink lots of water, rest and take it easy.

BelleDameSansMerci Thu 22-Sep-11 11:30:59

I recover from GA quite quickly but I'd still expect to feel crap for at least three days... Take it easy, if you can.

HoHoLaughingMonster Thu 22-Sep-11 11:39:07

That's totally normal.

I had one earlier in the year for gynae problem. Was very sick and faint afterwards because for some reason it had really affected my blood pressure, which was very low, hence the faintness. I slept on off for a whole day afterwards and then felt much better.

I had another one last week, I this time I was fine straight afterwards, but the next day I was all shaky and weird, like I had delayed shock.

They do say you can't operate machinery or drive for 24 hours after an GA, and for good reason.

Onemorning Thu 22-Sep-11 19:40:43

I had a gynae op earlier this year, and was completely zonked for 3 days afterwards, and tearful for a few days.

deardear Thu 22-Sep-11 19:47:59

I also wake up crying after GA's. Takes me a couple of weeks to get over it.

Lougle Thu 22-Sep-11 19:57:06

I used to work in theatres, and even just working alongside patients who were exhaling the gases, in a properly vented space, was exhausting.

We got used to it, but it was only when staff came back from annual leave that they realised how much the atmosphere affected them. I'd be exhausted for at least a week until my body adjusted (or until the exhaustion was so 'normal' that it didn't seem like exhaustion any more).

You should feel better by Monday, or Tuesday, I would think. Just take it easy, fresh air if you can, and plenty of fluids.

Shutupanddrive Fri 23-Sep-11 13:27:35

Yes normal, I had one last tues for gallbladder op. Was Sunday before i felt remotely normal again. Take it easy, I was very tired too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now