Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Back pain now for a year after birth - any suggestions?

(10 Posts)
whitsun Thu 22-Sep-11 04:42:04

Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone had pack pain following the pregancy and birth and if so, what sort of treatment did they get for it?

I did not have SPD or other specific back problems during pregnancy, but since my son was born I have slept very badly because my back locks up if I lie still for too long, esp. flat on my back (and I was so looking forward to sleeping that way again!). I though it was just recovery from c-section etc. - then one day realised that my son is now 16 months old and I still have it. I am very careful about my lifting practices.

I have never had problems with my back and have no idea who to see about it, if at all. Can anyone share a similar experience they've had?

chrchrch Thu 22-Sep-11 09:37:33

We often underestimate the hammering a body takes from the massive change in activity, nutrition, etc from before pregnancy until now. As well as a visit to the GP in case there's something else happening, it could be you need general strengthening and rebalancing; if your hospital doesn't have post-natal therapy e.g. exercise classes, physio, perhaps have a look around locally for something like yoga and pilates type classes? May also give you a short break to clear your mind and re-train the body into well-ness again, and some bonding time for DP with DS. Hope it gets better soon.

KellyKettle Thu 22-Sep-11 13:29:09

I had this too after my DD was born and, like you, realised one day - when she was almost 18 months old, that it perhaps wasn't normal.

My GP referred me for physio which really helped but I have found in this pregnancy the pain has returned. I had more physio which helped but it's chiropractic and yoga which has really made a difference.

I agree with chrchrch, start with your GP and go from there. Good luck!

Mandy2003 Thu 22-Sep-11 19:45:06

Did you have an epidural? I wouldn't for fear my back would object long-term. But I still had hip/back pain for quite a while. Eventually I had 2 sessions of chiropractic (not via GP) and solved immediately.

KellyKettle Fri 23-Sep-11 02:48:31

Yes, my hip/lower back pain was better after 1 chiro session & solved within 2. I was a but sceptical but have been really pleased with the results.

whitsun Fri 23-Sep-11 02:56:37

Thanks for your comments, folks. Glad to know I am not the only one. I did have an epidural, having laboured for 24 hours before my emergency c-section. It had not occured to me this might be the cause, but anything is possible.

The really odd thing is that my back is fine during the day - only get pain and seizing up at night while I am trying to sleep:0

Will try for the excerzise first I think - Im a full time working mum, and DH is full time at home Dad, so he gets PLENTY bonding time, but a little more wont hurtsmile

KellyKettle Fri 23-Sep-11 07:22:09

I was just going to ask if you were breastfeeding because my physic had said this would be a contributing factor (u couldn't find anything to back this up though),

Mine was always worse in the morning and I too had an epidural and a spinal block eventually.

A colleague of mine had warned me that she suffered back pain post epi but her GP didn't believe her. I only remembered afterwards her saying "if you have an epidural and end up with back pain, insist on physio".

Maybe give chiropractic a try? I had my first appointment last Monday, in for tts results on Tuesday. First adjustments Tuesday & Thursday and have been perfect since.

Samvet Fri 23-Sep-11 07:26:25

Pilates pilates pilates to strengthen weakened abdominal muscles. Godsend for me.

Mandy2003 Fri 23-Sep-11 08:49:50

This many people blame the epidural for their back pain (probably the sort of thing I read before I went into labour!

But this says it might not be so!

BitFuzzled Fri 23-Sep-11 09:24:01

Have you ever had a bad fall and injured your back? I had terrible back pain after DC2 and GP sent me for X rays. Turned out that fall I had at 12 years old had caused some damage in my lower back. It didn't cause any trouble until I'd had two pregnancies.

Yes, Samvet - pilates, pilates, pilates.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: