Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Surgery to repair abdo separation and possible hernia after pregnancy. Any experiences??

(6 Posts)
kalo12 Wed 21-Sep-11 20:44:10

went for my post natal check up yesterday and doc said that the separation was so wide that she was referring me to surgeon as she said my intestines were poking through!!

I knew it was bad because i had separation after first ds and did a load of pilates but it never went back then second ds was a massive bump and stomach muscles just completely collapsed.

Has anyone had this surgery? Is it major? Does it work? Long term effects?

kalo12 Wed 21-Sep-11 20:52:36

bump

kalo12 Thu 22-Sep-11 08:10:06

bumping for the morning crowd

KurriKurri Thu 22-Sep-11 20:45:47

Hi kalo - I haven't had exactly what you describe, but I've had an incisional hernia repair. Have you been given any indication of what kind of op you will have?

In case this is of any use, - I had a mesh repair done through laparoscopic surgery. I went in and came out on the same day. I had three very small cuts, one above my belly button, one at the side and one roughly bikini line. They each had a couple of stitches afterwards.

I was quite sore for about a week, then I'd say it took six weeks to fully recover and go back to anything very active (sports etc.) although everyday activity was fine before that.

I'm not sure if this is the same as you will be having, but I think it might be similar. HTH smile

kalo12 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:49:33

thanks kurrikurri, not really sure what will happen. waiting to see the surgeon. was envisaging full on tummy tuck (which i could defo do with) but have seen some horrible outcomes of this.

Was the hernia caused by pregnancy?

KurriKurri Thu 22-Sep-11 21:10:33

Only indirectly, - I have a couple of abdominal scars, - one from an ectopic pregnancy, and so the muscles had been weakened and the intestines poked through. (Although there was quite a few years gap between the original ops. and the hernia)

I had mine nearly a year ago, and its been fine so far, - no probs.

I think they do a lot of these kind of repairs laparoscopically (is that a word?) nowadays so the healing time is much quicker. So hopefully that will be the case for you, - hope it all goes well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now