Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

huge unexplained bruise - would you go to the doctors?

(7 Posts)
Hatwoman Wed 21-Sep-11 14:42:27

I have developed a bruise on my thigh - about 3 inches by 2, possibly a bit more. I haven't done anything at all that would normally result in such a bruise. Is it "just one of those things" or worth going to the docs? I've had unexplained bruises before but this one beats them all. google isn;t particularly helpful

DaisySteiner Wed 21-Sep-11 14:45:33

I don't know really (not much help!). I had a huge bruise on the back of my leg a few years ago, at least the size you describe. I went to the doctor, who was an idiot and kept saying that I MUST know how I'd done it (I had no idea). She couldn't offer and explanation and didn't seem at all worried. It went away gradually, just like a normal bruise. confused

happywheezer Wed 21-Sep-11 14:45:49

yes.

Meteorite Wed 21-Sep-11 14:47:46

Were you running around the house very busily and bumped into the corner of a table without really noticing?

meditrina Wed 21-Sep-11 14:47:49

Yes - the chances are that it's just one if those things, but it is a symptom which should be checked.

fedupandtired Wed 21-Sep-11 16:45:54

I wouldn't bother if it was just a one-off unexplained bruise. I'm forever getting bruises when I don't remember knocking myself. I bruise easily.

If you keep getting them then that's when I'd go. I doubt the doctor would run investigations for a one-off bruise.

Nickoka Wed 21-Sep-11 16:49:40

You haven't taken aspirin or ibubrofen recently have you. I had a terrible sore throat once and was taking soluble aspirin for it. I knocked my knee on a table and it came up as an enormous bruise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now