Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Be honest. How much plain water do you drink per day?

(45 Posts)
Iamseeingstars Tue 20-Sep-11 09:27:35

Not including tea, coffee, soft drinks etc.

If your doctor asked you, what would be your honest answer?

Just curious cos I am finding it really hard to drink lots of water every day

NoMoreWasabi Tue 20-Sep-11 09:29:10

3-4 litres a day. But then I don't drink much else.

coastgirl Tue 20-Sep-11 09:29:59

You don't need to drink lots. Drink when you're thirsty.

LadyGooGoo Tue 20-Sep-11 09:30:04

Probably about 1 litre, have been advised to drink 2 though so some way to go (was told to include all drinks though so that would up it to 2 litres)

CMOTdibbler Tue 20-Sep-11 09:31:31

Depends - more in hot weather. But it doesn't matter - all liquids hydrate you (well, maybe not spirits grin), and you just need to drink when you are thirsty

lubeybooby Tue 20-Sep-11 09:32:56

None. It's a myth that it has to be plain water.

I drink tea, coffee and squash. Yes caffiene is a diuretic but only alcohol causes net fluid loss.

ArmageddonOuttahere Tue 20-Sep-11 09:33:17

4-5 tumblers full throughout the day - about 1.5 litres-ish?

I don't ever really feel thirsty but I get headaches when I haven't had any liquid for a couple of hours.

OneHandFlapping Tue 20-Sep-11 09:33:49

None most days. And I ain't dead yet.

The diuretic effects of tea, coffee and beer have obviously been overstated.

mamsnet Tue 20-Sep-11 09:34:17

Plain water, probably about a litre. Like the pp, I know very quickly when I haven't had enough.

tabulahrasa Tue 20-Sep-11 09:35:27

Never, I don't like it

kblu Tue 20-Sep-11 09:35:36

God probably hardly any.........*she says trotting off to the tap with glass in hand*.

munstersmum Tue 20-Sep-11 09:36:28

None. It does have a taste & I don't like it.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 20-Sep-11 09:40:13

Probably two litres, I do like water.

PestoCaffeinisto Tue 20-Sep-11 09:40:19

I don't

prefer green tea or proper coffee

or

nice juices or elderflower or something like that

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 20-Sep-11 09:44:39

Probably about 1.5 litres a day. Apart from one cup of tea first thing and a cup of tea in the evening, water is pretty much all I drink. I like it and enjoy drinking it.

FlumpsRule Tue 20-Sep-11 10:18:07

Hardly ever drink plain water... Tea, coffee, squash & juice. Will have some now though blush

Ifancyashandy Tue 20-Sep-11 10:25:22

Drink about 6-7 cups of herbal (camomile / sleepy time / after dinner / peppermint etc) tea a day. After a pot of proper, seriously strong coffee every morning grin

winnybella Tue 20-Sep-11 10:25:37

Maybe two glasses a day. All liquids (except alcohol, obv.) hydrate you and the whole 8 glasses of water a day is a marketing scam invented by the bottled water companies.
I also drink about 3 cups of coffee, 2 cups of black tea and 2 cups of peppermint or verbena tea.

Meteorite Tue 20-Sep-11 10:28:14

A glass with each meal, then about 3 more glasses, so about 2L?

The rest is tea and coffee I'm afraid!

mumblechum1 Tue 20-Sep-11 10:30:21

None. Our tap water smells of bleach, so I only drink tea and squash. Oh, and obviously gin and tonic.

msbuggywinkle Tue 20-Sep-11 10:30:50

About a litre of plain water, because it makes me feel like I'm being healthy. The rest of my fluid intake is rooibos.

Lizzylou Tue 20-Sep-11 10:33:27

Non-exercise day 1litre ish
Exercise day 2.5litres

Exercise about 4 days a week. I fill up a 500ml water bottle from water machine at work twice a day, then sip. Makes me feel like I am being healthier anyway.

Ephiny Tue 20-Sep-11 10:33:55

Quite a lot, I tend to sip water when I'm at my desk at work/home, probably out of boredom as much as thirst! Just a habit I've got into.

You don't have to drink lots of water every day though. If you're not thirsty and not getting headaches or other symptoms, then you're probably OK. You have to be a bit more careful in a hot climate (especially if you're not used to it) or if doing strenuous activity - but generally there's no need to force yourself to drink large amounts of water, and the only result will be running to the loo all the time!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 20-Sep-11 10:34:53

cup of tea when we get up then 2 litres of fizzy water daily. It's the only thing that stops my skin getting spotty.

FlumpsRule Tue 20-Sep-11 10:39:26

An idea; kids will drink more water if it's in a bottle rather than in a glass. Maybe you (we all) should try that - wouldn't be as cold then either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now