Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is pleurisy

(7 Posts)
sand12 Mon 19-Sep-11 19:53:24

After having a very bad cough 4 months and now chest infection doc told me today i have pleurisy.

SpannerPants Mon 19-Sep-11 19:55:46

inflammation of the lining of the lungs. The lungs themselves don't have any nerve endings but the pleura (lining) does which is why it is so painful! It generally settles down by itself so take it easy and take regular painkillers - anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen are good if you can take them.

hayleysd Mon 19-Sep-11 19:57:35

It's very painful! I once had it and couldn't lift my arm it hurt so much and yes its inflammation of the lungs, it makes them rub on your rib cage etc which is why it hurts so much. Hope you get well soon.

wicketkeeper Mon 19-Sep-11 20:17:16

It's a form of pneumonia, so treat with great respect. I had a bad cough for the best part of 5 months before I was diagnosed.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 19-Sep-11 20:20:34

I had this many years ago when I was a student. I cracked a rib through coughing so much. Was sat there coughing and there was a major loud cracking sound that my mum heard from the far end of the room. It hurt like bugger.

sand12 Mon 19-Sep-11 21:10:21

Thanks every1 sounds like i need 2 look after myself

JinxAndFluff Tue 20-Sep-11 10:22:31

I cracked a rib too, agony. Recovering from the pneumonia and pleurisy took me 4 months. Could barely walk anywhere, couldn't push DD in her buggy, it was a horribly depressing time. Served me right for pooh poohing initial diagnosis of pneumonia "noone gets THAT these days". Look after yourself!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now