Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lovely mum having hysteroscopy on Thurs - very, very scared.

(11 Posts)
MrsHollywood Mon 19-Sep-11 13:42:44

My mum is 62 and thus post-menopausal.About 5 years ago she had tests that revealed a small fibroid or something similar that they decided to do nothing about. She has an unusual small bleed about 3 months ago but put it down to stress as I was in hospital with my premature baby (DD, who is now doing very well indeed). She did tell me shortly after but stupid, stupid me didn't make her do anything about it. I was in a post-baby fog, but that's no excuse.sad

She mentioned in at the Drs last week and suddenly she's had a smear and an ultrasound. The ultrasound was inconclusive because something was blocking their way. Hopefully just a fibroid, but they don't know. That doesn't sound good, does it? She has a hysteroscopy booked on Thursday to find out more.

I am so scared. I can't bear anything to happen to my wonderful mum. I'm an only child and I don't know my dad, so I don't feel like there's anyone to share this with. I mean, DH is fabulous, but it's not the same. If something ahppens to my mum, I feel like I'll be all alone. More importantly, she's all alone now. I have a 3yo DS (at preschool now) and my 3mo DD, so I'm not as flexible as I'd like to be to help her.

I don't know why I'm posting this because no-one can help. I just can't stop crying.

MrsHollywood Mon 19-Sep-11 14:18:05

Please, does anyone have any experience of anything similar?

Naoko Mon 19-Sep-11 15:00:40

Not quite the same, but I didn't want your post to go unanswered. Last year, my mum, who is 59, suddenly had a bleed 12 months after her last period (which obviously, considering her age, had made her assume she'd entered menopause). She too went for a smear and an ultrasound which were not conclusive, and had to have more tests. In her case unfortunately this did turn out to be cervical cancer, but the part of this story that I hope is uplifting to you is that she had a hysterectomy, it was caught early and had not spread, and she is now absolutely fine. She has to have regular checkups and such obviously and you do worry, but as far as anyone can tell it is totally gone.

I just wanted to answer your post because I remember how frightened and upset I was when mum was going through all the tests, and when the results came back. It's ok to post even though no one can actually help, I hope it helps a bit to know someone's listening.

MrsHollywood Mon 19-Sep-11 15:52:39

Thank you so much. That does make me feel a bit better - it's good to know women are getting through these things and I hope that your mum never has to worry about it again.

Thanks again.

chipstick10 Mon 19-Sep-11 16:45:34

Wishing your mum a speedy recovery. Please try not too worry. The best thing you can do is stay calm, wasting energy on anxiety and fear is wasted energy. There is no point in if's and maybe's. Your mum will be in good hands and the sooner the op the better the outcome. Stay strong for her and your dear babies.

sausagesandmarmelade Mon 19-Sep-11 16:50:06

Wishing you and your mum all the very best. There's every chance that this could have a positive outcome.

MrsHollywood Mon 19-Sep-11 19:52:29

Thank you. Much appreciated.

lucyspangle Mon 19-Sep-11 20:23:56

My post menopausal mum had the same procedure for unexplained bleeding -all was well- stay strong for your mum.

daisydotandgertie Mon 19-Sep-11 20:42:19

I've had a hysteroscopy. The procedure itself was absolutely fine.

I was a bit sore the day after and had a teeny bleed the night after the operation which dried up by the following day. The GA took a few days to properly leave my system and there are some lovely pics of my insides in my medical file.

Your Mum should have no problems at all with the hysteroscopy - it's really not a horrible or painful thing to have done and I hope that it doesn't reveal anything horrible.

Elibean Mon 19-Sep-11 22:17:57

Ah sweetie, first off please don't blame yourself for not making your Mum go sooner - a) she probably wouldn't have done and b) its not your job and c) you had just had a -premature - baby. Your Mum would probably tick you off for even thinking that way, lovely as she is smile

Secondly, the majority of gynae 'things' are really, really treatable. I know two women who have had uterine cancers and are 100% well (even after heaps of bleeding over a long period of time) years later. And I had a minor bleed post-meno that turned out to be a tiny polyp, that fell off on its own when they tried to remove it - and I'm fine. Hysteroscopies are common as muck amongst us older women, I'm afraid.

The doctors are doing exactly what they should be doing - to make sure your Mum is ok. All best wishes to her, and hugs to you.

MrsHollywood Mon 19-Sep-11 22:43:12

Thank you again. You're all fab and have made a very panicky woman feel much calmer and more positive. I'm still scared of course, but perhaps have a bit more perspective. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now