Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stomach swelling 6 months after c-section

(4 Posts)
EllieBellyMummy Mon 19-Sep-11 13:31:10

Hi. In March this year I had a very bad labour where both sides of my uterus got ripped during an emergency c-section, I lost over 3 pints of blood and had to have a blood transfusion. I had to have internal stitches to repair my uterus and was very poorly for a while. I'm better now and feel really good.

Since then I have been eating healthily, doing exercise and still breastfeeding my LO. I've lost over 2 stone so far and back to my pre-pregnancy weight (although my body shape is very different!) BUT I am struggling to wear any type of trousers other than one pair of jogging bottoms that I own.

If anything covers my tummy area it makes it swell up, so by the end of the day I look like I'm 5 or 6 months pregnant again. Jeans seem to rub against my c-section scar so don't feel comfortable, and leggings seem to "squash" my tummy which makes it swell, even if I buy a bigger size than what I am. Even wearing dresses hurt me if they're not really baggy.

Is this common/normal for people who have had c-sections or internal damage? I don't want to waste my doctors time by going to see him about it if it is a common problem.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Mon 19-Sep-11 13:40:13

I had the same as you & ended up in intensive care.It probably took longer than 6 months to feel anwhere near normal in the stomach area but thats due to it being ripped to pieces.Even now a few years down the line things never seem the same for me

I would speak to your health visitor about it if you don't want to see the gp,she is after all a nurse & can advise you far better than we can.Speak to her just to put your mind at rest as if she is a good one she really wil not mind as a happy mummy means a happy baby

Do let me know though abought how you get on

crispface Mon 19-Sep-11 18:22:57

I had an emergency c-section, but with no complications - ie my uterus did not tear, and the procedure was "straightforward"

I have never had swelling when wearing tight jeans, and do not know anyone who has (and a few of my friends have had c-sections)

Obviously, I am no expert on how long you might be taking to heal, but to me it doesnt sound normal, and warrants a visit to the GP.

I hope this sorts itself out soon..

itchywitch Tue 20-Sep-11 09:01:28

I'd definitely see your GP, esp if you are in pain. But if it makes you feel slightly better I have something similar happening with my leg which I broke a year ago and had 2 operations on. It still gets swollen and if I wear socks I get a deep indent from the band. No pain through for the last 6 months.

If your doctor is happy with it, maybe consider massage therapy for scars/swelling. I've had it recommended for my leg but haven't had the time or $$ to try it (of course I don't know if would suit an abdominal injury, you'd have to ask).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now