Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone Ever got Melatonin for Jet lag if so where did you get it from?

(10 Posts)
ppeatfruit Mon 19-Sep-11 13:02:25

I asked for melatonin in a London Health Food shop and was told no one sells it in England is this true? We're flying to New York this saturday for 5 nights and i don't want to suffer for the week we get back. I was given Serotone would it be a good substiiute?

droves Mon 19-Sep-11 17:01:52

Its available on consultants prescription in uk for children , as it is unlicenced . Not sure about adults .

Dont think you can buy it in uk <like you can in usa>

Never heard of Serotone ...

ppeatfruit Tue 20-Sep-11 07:55:25

Thanks droves i'll get some while in N.Y. smile

ggirl Tue 20-Sep-11 07:57:46

Yup I have tried here , not available

Got it by the bucket load in canada though.

Didn't help me much though

ppeatfruit Tue 20-Sep-11 11:26:47

ggirl so would you say it doesn't work or you need to take a lot for a result?

ggirl Tue 20-Sep-11 12:50:03

I found it worked very well at helping me to sleep , rather too well as I felt very sleepy the next day. I had to half the dose and still felt a little hungover next day.
I used them for sleeping problems due to doing night shifts . I use otc nytol if i have problems now.Melatonin worked almost too well for me

ppeatfruit Tue 20-Sep-11 13:07:39

Thanks ggirl smile

exaspomum Tue 20-Sep-11 14:43:41

You can buy it online. I take it as everynight as I'm having treatment for cancer and it's thought it might have anti-cancer properties and is also supposed to be very safe.

droves Tue 20-Sep-11 21:02:23

Exasposmum ...<off on a tangent , excuse> ....sorry you have cancer ...have you heard about flax seed in diet as supposed to have anti-cancer properties ?

I think its called the Budwig diet <?> ..basically it involves eating lots of flaxseeds/linseeds and cottage cheese ... something to do with ligins in the flax that have anti cancer properties.

More stuff you can chuck at the C the better imo ! smile

Hope your given the " all clear" soon x

PollySE12 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:13:14

You can get it on amazon.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now