Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Embedded splinter in dd's foot - help!

(3 Posts)
MrsDistinctlyMintyMonetarism Mon 19-Sep-11 10:04:40

I am a bad mother. <pulls on hair shirt>

DD (8) got a splinter 'quite a while ago' on the sole of her foot (heel part) and said nary a word. Because she knew I'd dig around and get it out. sigh.

Now it is a bit sore and there is a small yellow circular mark and you can feel that it is slightly raised.

Have tried soaking in hot water and scraping with tweezers, but hell, you guys know everything. Any ideas?

Can't phone NHS Direct (not in the UK), and if at all possible would prefer not to spend over a hundred squid on doctors visit. (Tight arse and crap mother).

On the plus side, it's hols here so I have 2 weeks to sort this out.

itchywitch Mon 19-Sep-11 10:55:46

I'd probably wipe down or soak with some sort of antiseptic (probably metho if I have nothing else) and try to get it out with disinfected needled as I would an ingrown hair or a particularly large pimple.

But I'm not a doctor smile

Bearcat Mon 19-Sep-11 16:11:19

Get some magnesium sulphate paste from chemist.
Put it on the wound and then put a plaster over it.
If there is a little opening on the wound, hopefully the paste will draw the splinter to the surface and then you can pull it out with tweezers.
Might be best to do this as she goes to bed.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now