Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urinary problems

(10 Posts)
lentilbake Sun 18-Sep-11 20:04:32

I can't remember a time when I didn't have to worry about going out and not finding a public toilet. For well over 10 years I have been one to wee very often, regardless of how much I drink. I used to see the dr and msu showed no infection so nothing was done. After a while I realised it was even worse when i was pregnant, had a period or had a period due. There was one time I was in hospital for siomething else and a sample showed I ahd blood and they prescribed antibiotics but I can't remember if I this was before I had this problem or whether i was weeing all the time then too, i know I had no other usinary symptoms at the time. When I have had a urine tests in the last 7 years (mainly when pregnant) it has shown something - nearly always leukocytes but after two msu showed nothing, this was put down to thrush as i get this badly especially when preggers. It has also shown trace of blood every single time but i was told this was normal for me.

Anyway, it is now getting ridicolous. A few months back, I went for a weel like i always do last minute before i go out and by the time i got to bottom of street I needed to go again. I therefore got diabetes test done at pharmacy but that was normal. However, the next day my period started so assumed it was that making me so often. After my period it lessened again although i was still afraid to go out and exhausted from the night time weeing.

Now its really abd again, the last three times I ahve been weeing up to every 5 to 10 minutes again but this time not period related, no period arrived yet (deffo not pregnant). I decided to google frequent urine to see if i could get some medication for it.

Now, I never used to think about me dying and wasn't worried about my health. However, a while back we had a bereavement and my daughters were pretty upset even though they didn't know the person that well. Since then I have taken more care of myself as I dont want them to lose me too. I suppose its good in a way if I am looking after myself better but i seem to be becoming a hypochindriac. I am now terrified its cancer and worry that my children will be so depressed if I die. When googling I read about bladder cancer and I am worried about this.

Dont feel its worth seeing a doctor as they just do MSUs and say all is fine but also not got GP yet as move house and have difficutly finding one to take me on!

eaglewings Sun 18-Sep-11 20:16:22

Go and see your GP again, or another GP
It could be that you need to retrain your bladder as you have got used to emptying it too frequently
It could be an irritation of the bladder wall or many other things but there is no need to put up with this
Good Luck

IndieNile Mon 19-Sep-11 22:57:56

Such frequent urination sounds like an infection, which needs treating quickly with antibiotics, so see your GP or walk-in clinic.
You also need referral to a urologist to try to get a diagnosis for these on-going problems. There could be several explanations; some people have a particularly sensitive urinary tract, and as eaglewings said, perhaps you need to retrain your bladder.
I am also someone who worries about going to the loo when I`m out, and find that just thinking about it makes me want to go, whereas if I don`t think about it at all I can last for hours without going - there`s definitely a psychological factor. In my case it began after a series of upper urinary tract infections, which left me a bit obsessed about avoiding having an over-full bladder in case it triggered another infection.
Since I started taking cranberry capsules daily I haven`t had any more bladder infections, and I try not to think about going to the loo too much.
I sympathise greatly with your problem, and think you should definitely insist on seeing a urologist to put your mind at rest.

Iamseeingstars Mon 19-Sep-11 23:06:31

I too have had this problem for years but the doctors just dismiss it. They are always convinced I have an infection, but tests always come back negative. I also always have blood in sample but this has always been ignored.

I know it happens to most people as they get older and have just learned to live with it, but it does/did affect my choices of where I went walking.

Leukocytes means the white cells are attacking an infection so these will be higher than normal.

But dont ignore it, try and find a doctor to take you on and ask for further investigations. I remember someone having all their bits tightened up and this resolved their problem.

lentilbake Tue 20-Sep-11 16:11:22

I managed to get GP to see me and this time I have 3 plusus blood, 6 white blood cells, 160 red blood cells per microlitre but definitely no infection. I have an urgnet scan tomorrow toc heck bladder and kidneys, reading the info on overactive bladder, as there is no urgnecy i dont feel it is this. I hope i'm just paranoid but terrified i'm going to die and my children will be devastated sad

RabbitPie Tue 20-Sep-11 17:02:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ameliagrey Wed 21-Sep-11 08:48:14

seewww.cob.org.uk

There is also a thread on hrere- or was- for interstitial cystitis. You could have that, or overactive baldder.

The link above is to a website covering all of these, and has a message board.

ameliagrey Wed 21-Sep-11 08:52:15

sorry the link should be www.cobfoundation.org

Many people are helped by diet- give up tea, coffee, alcohol, fizzy drinks, juices- drink just water for a few days. also cut out spices, onions, tomatoes and anything acidic, such as fruits.

Search this MN site here as there was a very long thread about this condition which ran for months.

Good luck.

lentilbake Sat 24-Sep-11 14:48:20

So I have had a CT scan - I have kidney stones

eaglewings Sat 24-Sep-11 14:57:14

Glad you have a diagnosis and hope you getvthe treatment you need soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now