Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Knee op - arthroscopy? Anyone had one?

(6 Posts)
mycatoscar Sun 18-Sep-11 11:06:56

It looks likely that I need one of these to remove some fragments of bone from my knee joint, left over from a doslocation 10 years ago!

Had anyone had this done? I have looked the procedure up and know what it involves but would be interested to know how long people have had to take off work , how long before you were able to drive again etc. What was recover time like? Any complications?

mycatoscar Mon 19-Sep-11 10:47:44

Anyone?

CMOTdibbler Mon 19-Sep-11 10:54:31

The trouble with recovery time is that it depends on what exactly they do while they are in there, and the state of the muscles that support your knee.
DH is a knee surgery veteran, and I remember last time he was on a ward with 5 other people having knee arthroscopy. The others all needed just a joint washout/small cartilage trim and were up and walking with no probs as soon as they were awake. DH needed most of his cartilage removed, and was on crutches for 5 weeks. His next op will be arthroscopic too, but will be even longer to recover as they will remove bone spurs

paulapantsdown Mon 19-Sep-11 11:03:23

Yep agree with CMOT - it depends on what they find when they 'go in'.

My DH has had several knee clean ups, and is just back to work after 2 months recovery from an tibial osteomy (taking a wedge off bone out of his leg and pinning it open to straighten the knee joint so it does not disclocate). Sorry I digress, its just that his op was the final option before total replacement after 10 years of arthroscopy ops.

It depends what they find in terms of bits floating around and if the tendons/muscles need tightening up. It depends too on your healing. We were always told 3 or 4 weeks recovery for these little ops, but DH has always been back to work in a week or so.

Good luck - knees are a right bloody pain.

mycatoscar Mon 19-Sep-11 11:09:47

Thanks ladies for that info. I have 2 small pieces of bone which look like need removing so fingers crossed relatively simple but am having MRI tomorrow too so that may show more I suppose.

CMOTdibbler Mon 19-Sep-11 11:13:10

Paula, can I ask how old your dh is ? dh is just waiting to hear if a tibial osteomy is an option for him, but has been told he will need a tkr within two years, but they aren't even sure he could have one due to bone damage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now