Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

to go to A and E with this

(41 Posts)
saladsandwich Sat 17-Sep-11 07:46:36

i have 4 insect bites, 2 on my head 1 on my arm and 1 on my finger, the one on my finger as really swelled up, tried getting in the drs yesterday but they where full and getting to the out of hours doctor where i live is ridiculous.

woke up this morning and its worse, i think it's infected i get infections alot maybe 1 every 6weeks or so, its really painful, just feel an idiot going to A and E with something so small but they do have a minor injuries clinic

aibu to go with something so small (but sweled and painful)i think it probably only needs antibiotics at this stage

TheOriginalFAB Sat 17-Sep-11 07:47:55

Go to A&E now before it gets too busy.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 17-Sep-11 07:48:04

Have you tried the usual things first e.g. taking antihistamines?

MrsPresley Sat 17-Sep-11 07:48:14

I'd go, especially if there is infection there. The quicker you start on antibiotics the better.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sat 17-Sep-11 07:48:44

Does your doctor not have an out of hours service?

GloriaVanderbilt Sat 17-Sep-11 07:53:41

Yes I think you should go, but you might need to wait a while, they will probably just refer you to the duty doctor there.

Btw if you often get infections it can be a sign of diabetes I think so might be worth getting that checked out at a later date.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Sat 17-Sep-11 07:57:52

Can you see the bite mark on your finger - a tiny blood-coloured pinprick?

knaveofhearts Sat 17-Sep-11 08:00:58

Ring the out of hours GP. This is urgent but not A&E.

ForkInTheForeheid Sat 17-Sep-11 08:01:52

I think ya a bit u to go to a and e because out of hours is harder to get to, surely people using a and e for those reasons is why it gets so busy? Yanbu to want it seen to though.

saladsandwich Sat 17-Sep-11 08:03:36

i've taken antihistamines but tey where only piriton ones, the other bites are just normal size so i think they have worked because i am allergic to most bites... started putting antibitotic cream on it yesterday when i couldnt get in to the drs because i knew it was infected with it being red hot to touch.

out of hours dr is impossible round here, they have 2 drs thats it, impossible to get an apointment with them. theres a walk in centre but its 20miles away and i dont drive

saladsandwich Sat 17-Sep-11 08:08:24

izzy you can see where i was bitten but it is now green sad

gloria i am under endocrinology and diabetic clinic because they don't know why i keep getting them, my son suffers even worse because he's got immunity problems

Iteotwawki Sat 17-Sep-11 08:10:06

I would try out of hours or a taxi to the walk in centre before a&e. Be prepared to be triaged to the bottom category if you do just go to the hospital, an infected finger isn't an accident or an emergency really.

FellatioNelson Sat 17-Sep-11 08:11:55

Yes, it sounds like it has turned to a nasty infection. Phone NHS direct to ask advice first though - there may be an out of hours medical centre for less urgent cases than A&E usually see. But if there is not one, then I'd go along to A&E (sheepishly and apologetically) rather than leave it until Monday - just in case.

kat2504 Sat 17-Sep-11 08:16:51

Since you say they have a minor injuries clinic there too aswell as A&E I would give them a ring and ask if you can go in rather than just showing up there. Perhaps if they do have minor injuries clinic in the hospital, that is the local out of hours service. You can't really get a taxi somewhere 20 miles away, that is not reasonable. If they can't see you, then you'll have to make an appointment to see the GP and tell them it is urgent. you probably just need some antibiotics.

saladsandwich Sat 17-Sep-11 08:30:02

i've decided after showing my dad my finger to go to A and E, they have a minor injury clinic there... noticed the redness is spreading and i cant move it so want it seen sooner rather than later.

thanks for the advice

ragged Sat 17-Sep-11 09:10:42

Good luck, I am (mildly) allergic to most insect bites, and can have major flare ups to minor bites sometimes. I suspect they'll give you a stronger antihistamine, let us know what they said.

pippilongsmurfing Sat 17-Sep-11 12:13:55

I don't know where you live but in my area if you have something that is serious but not A&E serrious then call NHS direct who will tell you the best place to go.

I would NOT go to A&E with an insect bite, the fact you have to ask whether to go or not should tell you that you do not need to.

Please don't tell us you were going to ring an ambulance to get there.

It's Saturday morning FFS, not the middle of a long bank holiday, nearly everywhere has walk in centre's these days.

Crosshair Sat 17-Sep-11 12:23:15

Hope you get it sorted!

GloriaVanderbilt Sat 17-Sep-11 12:45:11

Pippi I don't think you need to be so patronising, of course she isn't going to ring an ambulance.

Her A&E has a minor injuries unit. She has been injured by some pesky insect and it sounds as thought she is developing cellulitis so I think in the circumstances it was the only sensible option.

ledkr Sat 17-Sep-11 12:59:31

pippi an insect bite isnt serious but an infected finger of a diabetic is.It can lead to cellulitis or scepticemia so dont make sweeping statements like that.
Defo get it checked op.

stabbystabbykillkill Sat 17-Sep-11 13:02:35

Pippi - if I get bitten or stung the area swells massively, becomes red and hot to the touch, and the redness spreads

If I got bitten and stung depending on how bad it looked I would definitely go to A&E especially if they had a minor injuries unit.

Surely that's what it's there for? confused

banana87 Sat 17-Sep-11 13:04:00

I'd ring out of hours GP, not an a&e job.

meditrina Sat 17-Sep-11 13:04:44

If a bite is showing signs of infection (hot, red, swollen) AND the redness if definitely tracking up the body (typically shows up 48-72 hours after the bite) then you will probably need antibiotics immediately and should go to wherever you can see a doctor straightaway - easily treated, but very serious if not.

giraffesCantChaChaCha Sat 17-Sep-11 13:06:10

By this stage a&e sounds like only option left - aside from nhs direct. But if you are prone to this then would next time try to insist on seeing a Dr, I often get told all appointments are full but when explain its for asthma and having breathing difficulties then fit me in.

Crosshair Sat 17-Sep-11 18:48:27

How did it go?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: