Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My knee is making weirdy crunchy popping sounds....anyone have a clue what it is?

(9 Posts)
Pinot Fri 16-Sep-11 11:33:27

I've been doing the bastarding Shred DVD and now my left knee crackles quite audibly.

Oh. Shit.

CalatalieSisters Fri 16-Sep-11 11:37:12

Are you a middle-aged wreck or a spritely young thing? Knees can pop just through youthful exhuberance but older ones like mine can creak through early-stage arthritis. Bodypump classes were the trigger than led my worn out knee to start hurting and grinding, and when the pain didn't go away after months I took myself to docs and now have physiotherapy, etc.

Pinot Fri 16-Sep-11 11:38:12

Ohhhhh eckythump. I'm 36 so mentally sprightly but body is disagreeing with that. Evidently.

CalatalieSisters Fri 16-Sep-11 11:52:25

oh 36 is a bit more on the spritely side than the wreck side I think? Could just be the exhuberant popping. But as I've discovered to my cost it is well worth doing some special knee-friendly gentle exercises to build up the muscles that support the joint, and going easy on the kind of exercise that bullies your knees. [advice from old gimmer emoticon]

Pinot Fri 16-Sep-11 13:50:38

Thank you! I'll go easy (any excuse) wink

GeraldineAubergine Fri 16-Sep-11 13:52:23

I think the technical name for it is 'crepitus'. My knees both make this sound and my ankles and hips. I'm not very old and havent been doing anything energetic either grin

Pinot Fri 16-Sep-11 13:59:24

Crepitus sounds horrid! <wails>

CalatalieSisters Fri 16-Sep-11 14:12:44

It does, doesn't it. Just googled it and it seems to come from many different sources, not just arthritis. So thats good news for you. One of the causes is gangrene, which is less good. Pretty sure Shred doesn't cause gangrene though.

Pinot Fri 16-Sep-11 14:15:59

gangrene? gangrene? Oh my christ.

Every day is a school day on MN.

<faints>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now