Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HPV vaccine

(8 Posts)
OneWaySystemBlues Fri 16-Sep-11 08:18:50

Can someone tell me if I'm being stupid about worrying about my daughter having the HPV vaccine? I obviously don't want her to end up with cervical cancer one day, but I am really concerned about side effects, especially as the leaflet they give the girls is a dumbed down one of the one that comes with the vaccines and it only mentions the slightly sore arm and raised bump. The vaccine leaflet is a lot more comprehensive. I also didn't realise that they don't need my permission to do it. The leaflet clearly states that my daughter can give her consent even if I don't consent. Please can you tell me what experiences your daughters have had with the vaccine to hopefully put things into perspective for me.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 16-Sep-11 09:01:20

DD1 fainted all three times - but then again she has a needle phobia. The nurse told me she had done vaccinations for year 8 girls in the other six other large high schools in the are over ther previous few weeks and she had had around five other girls who had had a mild dizzy spell following the vaccination. She wasn't sure if that was the mild histeria that they work themselves up into before a jab or the vaccination itself.

DD was the only one in her school to have a reaction like this and I don't know of any other girls who had any problems beyond a sore slightly achy arm for a few days.

DD2 has her first one today so I will let you know later how she got on.

Buzybea Fri 16-Sep-11 12:46:03

Hi there,
The HPV vaccine is safe and it is the best way to protect your child from cervical cancer. Most cases of cancer are caused by the HPV virus - so you are really helping your child. The vaccine cerviarix protects from types 16 & 18 - but the research says it should provide cross cover to other types.

There are many types of HPV virus out there - but this one protects against the main ones that cause cancer - research suggests that they are responsible for over 70% cases of cervical cancer.

In my experience - and I give the vaccine a lot - the side effects of the vaccine are usually quite mild - usually a sore arm and maybe a little lump. But the advise is - it may make you feel a little unwell - with a mild temperature, general aches, dizziness and sickness - but I've not come across one who said that happened to them.

I also find that when you give the vaccine in a mass group - the side effects generally are generally worse - as the girls work themselves up over it. If you stay calm and relaxed - its over really quickly and the symptoms are mild.

With regards to the consent - your daughter can give her consent to the vaccine as long as she is fully aware of the risks and benefits and understands about consent - but if you refuse then it will be unlikely the injection will be given. The vaccine is given at this age - so as to be fully in her system before the possibility of exposure to the virus. If you did refuse and not give your consent for the vaccination - your daughter could still have the injection when she turns 16, as this would be her decision and she is legally entitled to it.

If I were in your shoes I would protect my child, In fact I am having my boys vaccinated privately for this - because they can carry the virus and pass it on to their partner. Also the research suggests that HPV virus can cause cancer of the penis, anus and mouth. So at £80 a vaccine - I think your lucky to have it!.

I hope you make the right decision for your child. Vaccinations are the way forward to protect our children.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 16-Sep-11 18:18:57

Oneway - my dd has had hers but she had it late because I was a bit jittery about it. I'm not gung-ho about vaxing but not anti-vax either. dd has underlying health problems including a clotting issue which one of the jabs was linked to. She's had two of the three doses now and is fine.

twankie Fri 16-Sep-11 22:07:59

useful infoo Buzybea.. thanx

methodsandmaterials Fri 16-Sep-11 22:14:52

There's some good, unbiased evidence based info. here.

LineRunner Sun 18-Sep-11 15:44:21

My daughter was in the first cohort, and she tells a great story about the mass hysteria in the corridor waiting to go into the nurses' room. In other words, there were girls working each other up to faint even before they had the jab.

My daughter and I had decided that she would sign her own consent form, as she definitely wanted the protection that the jab offers, and I certainly wasn't going to force anything on her as a teenager.

As it happens, a nurse rang me anyway - they were nervous of accepting my daughter's consent and wanted to know that I was OK with her having the jab! I said I believed my daughter was perfectly able to consent, but the nurse wasn't happy until I gave my own consent. I really don't know what would have happened if my daughter had wanted the jab but I had said No. They have to have it before they are sexually active, so it's no use telling them to wait till they can consent at an older age.

Anyway, she had the jab(s), had no ill effects, and all of her friends have had the jabs and likewise felt fine, apart from a few slightly sore arms for a day.

vjg13 Sun 18-Sep-11 16:03:20

My daughter had a slight reaction after the third jab of nausea and stomach cramps and was slightly unwell for about 24 hours the day after the vaccination. With the first two she just had a sore arm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now