Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraceptive pill & other remedies

(4 Posts)
missjulie Thu 15-Sep-11 23:45:35

Hi, hoping someone can answer my silly question!
DD is 17 months, so, I finally got put back on the pill today (Loestrin 30). I start taking it tomorrow. I have being having a few mental health issues, and taking St John's Wort, and I know that I need to stop taking this now. (Shall see how I get on anyway.)
However, I totally forgot to ask if it is ok to take Loestrin with the other homeopathic/herbal remedies etc I am taking! I also take Zinc, Kali Phos, Rescue Remedy and Mimulus.
Does anyone know if it is still safe to continue with these, or should i stop taking these too?
If i do need to stop taking them, is there an alternative that i can take that is safe to use at the same time as Loestrin?
Posted in 'chat' too as I know it gets a lot of traffic!
Thanking you kindly in advance!

missjulie Fri 16-Sep-11 16:51:45

bump!

InnocentRedhead Fri 16-Sep-11 22:17:44

Just looking at it from every angle and it appears that only St John's Wort is not recommended for use with oral contraceptives - obvious reasons. I did find a list of herbal remedies that should not be used with Loestrin 30...

The following herbs may be hormonally active and could disturb the action of Loestrin: Agnus Castus, Black Cohosh, Ginseng, Pleurisy Root, Red Clover, Saw Palmetto, Vervain, Wild Yam

Source However I do not think there is any dangerous side effects; just lessens the action of the contraceptive. I do not know how reliable this page is though. May be worth looking at what is in the Rescue remedy though and asking your GP

MissJulie I am so sorry to hear you are having some MH problems sad I remember you from the late night threads which have just disappeared. Hope this helps and hope your MH problems aren't too serious, are you going through counselling or speaking to someone?

missjulie Fri 16-Sep-11 22:35:51

Hey! SO lovely to 'see' you again!
Thank you for that, yes, that's all i can find too. Started the pill today, but haven't taken any of the other stuff i normally take! Shall try and speak to someone about it! Def not going to take the risk and risk getting preg!!!
Thanks for your concern. I have been struggling since last Aug, and am seeing a counsellor. Am surprised you couldn't 'see through' me on the late night thread! I miss those threads! nobody seems to be about now! sad
How are things with you hun? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now