Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shorter/closer together periods

(5 Posts)
itsallgoneabitMrBloom Thu 15-Sep-11 13:25:43

Hope not TMI!
I am 41, no history of early menopause in mum mums side of family (not sure on my dads) My periods have always been fairly regular heavy the 1st 3 days normally 5+days, have recently declined - still heavy for 3 days then v.scant for a day then nothing. They were normally about 28 days and I think I have just come on which would be 24 days this time.
I was having a slight pain on my right hand side too - top of belly about 6" down from ribs and down near hip joint just fleating not agony.
I have seen the GP and he has booked me in for a scan which would be in the next 6 weeks. I dont get any bloating, not had any unintentional weight loss. Not pregnant.
A bit worried, I need a bit or reassurance, has anyone else had any problems like this and what was the outcome?

tallulah Sat 17-Sep-11 11:14:38

Mine suddenly got lighter and went down to 3 weeks between them. Went to GP who checked bloods and did an internal. No obvious cause. That went on for about 6-7 months and now it's all changed again. My last one lasted about 9 days and was fairly light. This one has been heavy from day one. I think it is all age related once you get into your 40s sad .

Would still get checked by GP tho.

itsallgoneabitMrBloom Fri 30-Sep-11 17:01:48

Thanks for your reply.
I had an internal ultrasound today, they could see no problems with anything in there all looking ok, ovaries, linings etc (what a relief smile) so hopefully just one of those things?
I will have to see GP next week and blood tests will probably be the next step I would expect.

AngryFeet Fri 30-Sep-11 17:04:33

I have this problem - periods used to be 28 day cycle but are now anywhere from 16-26 day cycles. GP doesn't seem to think this is an issue so no answers for you I'm afraid. I am 32 though so less likely to be peri-menopausal I guess...

forkful Sun 02-Oct-11 15:47:38

When my cycles start to drift down from 28/27 days towards 21 days hmm I take Agnus Castus. It's a herb and has been used for centuries for PMT and to regulate periods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now