Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

neck/head pain

(7 Posts)
gottasmile Thu 15-Sep-11 11:47:05

Hello, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice....

Every month (so I'm assuming it's hormonal) I get dreadful neck, shoulder, sinus pain - combined with an all over the head headache. It's debilitating and nothing I take gets rid of it. It lasts for 3 days straight and is just before my period.

I've had this for about 2 years and now and for a long time I've been saying I have to do something about it, but after it goes away I tend to forget about it...... until the next month.

Could anyone recommend anything? I'm a bit hesitant to go to the gp, as I'm worried that they'll say it's just hormonal and to take painkillers. Should I go to the gp? What about acupuncture or something else? Does anyone have any experiences like this? Thanks!

gottasmile Thu 15-Sep-11 21:02:45

hopeless bump for me too.....

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Thu 15-Sep-11 21:11:15

Probably best to go to GP initially in case there is any straightforward treatment that can help. As a Physio (NHS and private) I use acupuncture to help with headaches and neck/shoulder pain but would need a GP to assess ideally that the problem is a musculoskeletal one. Obviously traditional acupuncture can be accessed without referral by a GP. And you can self refer to a private Physio if you want to. It does sound like it could be hormonal though.

gottasmile Thu 15-Sep-11 21:31:02

Thank you for reading and for your advice Wheels. I think I will go to the GP, I'm just afraid of looking silly if it is hormonal. I'm afraid theyll tell me I just have to put up with it, there's nothing they can do. Better to find out though, I know...

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Thu 15-Sep-11 22:31:01

They might say that but it's been going on for a long time and they might have some blood tests they can do or some kind of treatment you could have pre period? May be worth looking at website patient.co.uk on case it has anything useful as I believe it is used by some doctors as well as patients. Hope you find something that helps smile

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Thu 15-Sep-11 22:35:09

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Migraine-Triggered-by-Periods.htm

Try this link smile

gottasmile Fri 16-Sep-11 13:05:55

Thank you wheelshavefallenoffthebus!!!! I've just logged on now, so just saw your message a second ago. I'm off to take a look at the website.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now