Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bubbly gurgling noise coming from chest

(8 Posts)
gurgling Wed 14-Sep-11 20:59:44

Can anyone tell me if I need to go to a Dr (or is it just a virus)?

I got a cough about a week ago. No cold, no temperature, no sore throat. Just a cough.

After I breathe out, there is a weird gurgly bubbling noise - I think it's coming from higher chest area and maybe also the back of the throat. It lasts about 6 seconds. Sounds a bit like a cat purring and anyone else in the room can hear it. When I cough it doesn't clear - it's still purring.

Have never had this before and have no idea. Have had recurrent itchy skin recently - dr just told me to take antihistamines. I have to take them every 3 days or it just gets itchy again.

Am wondering if a virus or some sort of allergy. Any advice appreciated.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Wed 14-Sep-11 22:13:08

Yep I would go to the doctors to be sure, they can have a listen and see if it needs further explanation. My dad had this and it was discovered to be a hangover from when he had pluerisy (sp) and he was fine but best to check I think

topsi Thu 15-Sep-11 08:40:15

I have this at the moment, it is fluid or infection in the lungs or further up in the tubes. It may get better by itself or you may need abx.

gurgling Thu 15-Sep-11 12:09:05

Thanks very much. I don't feel unwell really so I might wait a few days and see if it goes away. Very odd noise though!

Footle Thu 15-Sep-11 17:24:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gurgling Thu 15-Sep-11 17:42:54

Footie - that's what I'm wondering. But I didn't think it made a sort of wet gurgly noise, maybe I'm wrong, and I don't feel very short of breath. If it's still bad tomorrow I'll get an appointment. Thanks v much.

titan Thu 15-Sep-11 17:48:43

Sounds like mucus. Should go away on it's own but inhaling steam might help loosen it so you can cough it up.

Footle Fri 16-Sep-11 11:08:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now