Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My toddler will take medicine

(4 Posts)
zetaJ Wed 14-Sep-11 20:11:34

Any ideas on how to make a toddler take medicine, she will not let me put the spoon anywhere close to her mouth?

Graciescotland Wed 14-Sep-11 20:14:08

Nurofen for children are doing easy use syringes. DS won't take medicine from a spoon but he will from those.

cbmum Wed 14-Sep-11 20:19:05

I had this a few weeks ago. DD1 was prescribed awful tasting medicine. I used old fashioned bribery. Here is a chocolate button to take the taste away etc. Another tip I was told by a doctor friend is that in A&E they use frozen lollies to numb the tongue then give awful tasting meds so you don't taste them!

nilequeen Wed 14-Sep-11 20:31:20

My DD was and still is an absolute nightmare at taking medicine. Loads of well meaning people offer advice "Have you tried..." I wanted to strangle them. Tried everything and got through the first two years (and ten teeth!) without her taking medicine.

However, I've now developed a fool proof method that tricks her every time...
- buy a small carton of juice (let child choose it if it helps)
- without them seeing, empty the contents into a glass
- using a syringe from chemist, put the correct dosage into the empty carton
- using the syringe, top up the carton with some juice
- give it to your child and hopefully they'll drink it.

Good luck!

If all else fails, you can get paracetamol suppositories on prescription. Do it quick with a nappy change and it's over before you know it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now