Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had swollen glands that lasted ages?

(6 Posts)
twipple2 Wed 14-Sep-11 05:33:23

have had swollen glands now for over 2 weeks... is this normal? I thought thye went down after a few days..I haven't got a sore throat but do have a pressured feeling in my head and the other day I had a slight pain in my ear. Can this just be due to a non-specific normal virus? Has anyone had a virus that showed itself like this that last this long?

Thumbwitch Wed 14-Sep-11 05:37:29

Go to the doctor and get yourself checked. If you have an ongoing infection then your glands could remain up, yes - but better to get it checked out if it's at all concerning you.

twipple2 Wed 14-Sep-11 09:18:42

I did go to the GP and he just said if it doesn't go awa in 2 weeks time to come back... but am still worried as have read that ususaly glands go down after a few days

Thumbwitch Wed 14-Sep-11 09:53:48

Rule 1: Never use Doctor Google grin

Seriously though, if you're worried and it's been 2 weeks then go back. Your glands swell when your immune system is working - they house the lymphocytes, which are a subset of your white blood cells that make antibodies, so while you're making antibodies to certain viruses etc., your glands can swell.

jellybeans Wed 14-Sep-11 09:58:47

I have had them a few years! Docs don't seem bothered..

twipple2 Wed 14-Sep-11 09:59:50

thanks Thumbwitch.. Dr Google does make me think 2+2=5 and although I have had them for over 2 weeks, I only saw GP last week so I probably need to wait a week or so more

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now