Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Pain around left rib/lung/chest area?

(6 Posts)
MadamXx Tue 13-Sep-11 14:44:19

Fr a few weeks now I've been suffering with a pain which can range from sharp to dull seemingly under my left breast. I can't determine whether it's coming from my breast itself, the ribs or inside the chest but sometimes the pain moves around the back (back of the rib cage, again on the left side) and down my left arm. I know that sounds bad but aside from heart problems, what else could this be?

Sometimes it feels like wind (I sometimes can't breathe in when the pain is there as it gets worse on breath intake) and other times it feels like injury/bruising type pain that isn't effected by my breathing.

Other symptoms I get it dizzy when standing, loss of appetite and feeling full as soon as I start eating.

I am under a lot of stress at the moment, could it just be stress related?

anklebitersmum Tue 13-Sep-11 16:39:28

Go see the Doctor!
Have had similar type pains with my prolapsed disc-pain around the chest and down my arms but also had pleurisy in my late teen years and that was painful front and back as you describe-especially when taking a deep breath.
Hopefully it's nothing too dreadful but regardless go see your Doc cos even if I were medically qualified I wouldn't diagnose over the tinterweb smile

RichTeaAreCrap Wed 14-Sep-11 07:27:07

It can be anything really - I have this pain and it is due to a small hernia. Its scarey, I always thought it was a heart problem or something awful but it isnt - all kinds of things can cause similar pain. It could just be stress, but I would go to the gp and he will probably run some simple blood tests first.

BurningBridges Wed 14-Sep-11 09:34:22

I've got something similar, since I've been looking into it it seems many people are in the same position. You definitely need to see GP, I have finally been referred to gastroenterologist - you might not need that but they reckon anything that makes you feel full needs investigating. As RichTea said, it could be a hernia. Go and get prodded! Good luck.

MadamXx Wed 14-Sep-11 19:50:29

I went to the doctor and he reckons it's muscular pain. I don't know though sad I was awoken suddenly last night with an excrutiating pain on the base of my left rib (the thick bit that goes around and under lol). It felt like someone had just punched me and broke the rib that's how bad it was. It went off after a while but today my arms (both now) have been achey and both sides of my ribs. Doctor has given be co codomol and some antacid things but if it doesn't clear up by the end of the week I'm going to go back. Hernias are very frequent in our family.

RichTeaAreCrap Wed 14-Sep-11 20:09:42

sounds just like I was Madam before I knew I had a hernia - I had no idea what the pain was and didn't know a hernia could give that pain.

Definately go back if it is no better by the end of the week - keep pushing, it took 6 months of this pain for them to diagnose mine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: