Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Left side of face and head numb - waiting for a call from the doctor

(52 Posts)
shocked2 Fri 09-Sep-11 22:06:32

Hi all
Am panicking a little as since this morning I have had numbness - it started off on the left side of my face but seems to have progressed to the left side of my head, neck and my left arm as well. I called NHS direct this evening and am now waiting for a doctor to call me back.
I am just wondering if anybody knows anything about this? I know that I have a cracked tooth that really needs seeing to (with a filling in the middle of it) and I am going to the dentist next thursday - could there be a link? Is it possible to have an infected tooth without huge symptoms?
The other strange symptom I have had is a weird smell that only I can smell (I thought it was the house at first but have realised it is me since we went away last weekend) - a sort of sweet, musty, mouldy smell. This has gone on for about three months.
I am panicking because what I read on the internet when I google these things (especially the numbness) is really frightening. Does anybody have any experience of any of this?
With thanks!

Mutt Fri 09-Sep-11 22:12:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kbear Fri 09-Sep-11 22:14:15

could it be migraine?

My DH has migraines that involve his tongue going numb and usually one side of his face and head. The numbness strikes before the headache.

Hope you get an answer soon x

shocked2 Fri 09-Sep-11 22:17:10

Thank you smile. Know what you mean about the internet Mutt!! Have been waiting about 45 minutes I think. I know what you mean about migraines Kbear but I never (or very rarely) get them, and one is not coming on.

thisisyesterday Fri 09-Sep-11 22:19:16

whilst i don't want to panic you even more, do you have someone with you? do you have a walk-in centre you could go to?
i'm just thinking that it would probably be wise to get checked out sooner rather than later, and it would put your mind at rest perhaps?

gruffalosarse Fri 09-Sep-11 22:22:20

Are your ears sore or weeping? I had an ear infection earlier this year and my face/head felt numb. Also, due to the infection my ear became very smelly blush but only i smelt it. Convinced myself the bins were rotten but it was actually my bloody ears!

shocked2 Fri 09-Sep-11 22:22:58

Well dh has gone out to pick up a piece of furniture. I am babysitting the kids for the moment but he should be back soon. There is a walk in centre and I will try calling them as well - not sure if it is open all night though but there is always a & e.

shocked2 Fri 09-Sep-11 22:24:40

No my ears are not sore or weeping but is it possible that I have some kind of undetected either sinus infection, or tooth infection (and I do have a dodgy tooth) or both?? These would be by far the best options. Know what you mean about the bins because I was utterly convinced there was a mouse in our kitchen letting off weird musty smells.

youmustbeyolking Fri 09-Sep-11 22:27:30

Can you whistle? I had Bells Palsy and this is how it started. Diagnosed when I couldn't whistle or wink.

I hope the doctor calls soon.

shocked2 Fri 09-Sep-11 22:29:49

yes I've just tried whistling and winking and I can do both - thank you for all your answers - dh now back but am still waiting for call, am thinking I should call them again

gruffalosarse Fri 09-Sep-11 22:30:54

Mine developed in to a middle ear/sinus infection too, took ages to clear up. Hope you get some answers soon

shocked2 Fri 09-Sep-11 22:34:05

Thank you very much.

youmustbeyolking Fri 09-Sep-11 22:34:49

I would call again. The sooner it is diagnosed the sooner you can start treatment.

shocked2 Fri 09-Sep-11 22:36:48

Ok I am going to.

IwanttobeShirleyValentine Fri 09-Sep-11 22:41:28

I have had this a few times this year but it dissapeared before I got to the Drs. I did mention it my dentist though who seems to think mine was almpst certainly related to my Bruxism (severe night time mouth clenching and teeth grinding).

Not much help for you - but another suggestion of what it could be perhaps. Needless to say though, you really ought to get checked out by a Dr.

Mutt Sat 10-Sep-11 08:38:08

shocked2 Sat 10-Sep-11 10:21:01

Hi - I went to A & E as I have been there before and didn't know how to get to my walk in centre in the dark. Anyway it clearly wasn't urgent as a doctor didn't seem me until 3.20am - it was Friday night so busy. Anyway, the doctor thought that the numbness/weird feeling down the left side of my body and the weird smell that isn't there that I have been smelling may be linked. I am already supposed to be having a CT scan (have not got appointment yet) so she said that was a good idea and to go ahead with it. They emit loads of radiation though so am scared. Apparently the part of the brain which deals with smelling is at the front of the head and something may be going on there. So am also worried I may have a tumour or some other horrible thing like alzheimer's as lots of not nice things have weird smells as a symptom sad. I suppose it could be one of 100s of things that is causing the smell but it is definitely happening iykwim.
Thank you for asking Mutt.

hellhasnofury Sat 10-Sep-11 11:43:32

Sinus infections can lead to a weird sense of smell. I've had CT and MRI scans following the removal of a begign tumour in my sinus cavity. The CT scan was fine and over with very quickly though they did inject a dye (into my hand not my face) for my second scan.

Mutt Sat 10-Sep-11 14:26:40

nightcat Sat 10-Sep-11 14:59:38

your tooth, is it on left or right? it could be that filling (is it metal?) is leeching, could also be the infection from the tooth.

Hope you are a bit better (or at least not worse) today?

I was once admitted to a neuro ward and after all the scans and scares it turned out to be middle ear infection.

thisisyesterday Sat 10-Sep-11 17:42:42

shocked sad that sounds pretty miserable.

is there any chance you could go back to your GP and see if they can push for a quicker referral? Not just because it could be something serious but because it's not good for you to sit and worry about it for months while you wait!

that said, if they thought it was something serious i think they would have made sure you were seen for a scan really quickly??

anyway, I hope it turns out to be just an infection or something silly like that and nothing serious. Do keep us updated on here

shocked2 Sun 11-Sep-11 09:27:05

Hello - thanks for your messages. My cracked tooth is on the left and I do have a feeling it might be leeching something from the filling but am scared to google this as well! I am going to see the dentist on Thursday. The numbness on the left side has gone but I am left with a dead feeling on the left side of my head and my ear slightly - again could this be the tooth? The smell is still there.
I really would like to get the tooth sorted before the CT scan so will start pushing for it (the scan) to be sooner as soon as I have got the tooth sorted.
Yes I am kind of worrying - it doesn't help that half my head feels strange.

nightcat Sun 11-Sep-11 15:09:40

This could be inflammation caused by infection, you def need to do something about the tooth and soon and you might need a/bs and possibly urgently. As this is so close to the brain/neuro stuff, I would ask for a/bs asap.

PIMSoclock Sun 11-Sep-11 15:41:29

Hi Shocked

There are a number of things that this could potentially be.
As you have said that the symptoms are all sensory rather with no othe obvious symptoms (motor function/calculation/perception/balance/vision) it is unlikely that there is a focal problem (tumour/abscess etc)

Problems in the brain above the cerebellem (bit at the back) manifest with contralateral symptoms. IE your toothache is on the left which affects the RIGHT side of your body. Therefor the tooth is probably a red herring.

Do you have any weakness??
Or a history of Migrane??
Have you ever felt anything like this before? Any other medical problems? or recent illness/stress??

Notchattingnow Sun 11-Sep-11 23:58:57

sounds like he thought maybe migraine or temporal lobe epilepsy which is an unusual type of seizure associated with altered perception and unusual smells/ taste
not Alzheimers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now