Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Reducing fever in an adult?

(10 Posts)
NickNacks Fri 09-Sep-11 20:39:38

I've been feeling run down all day and sat down just now after putting DCs to bed and I have awful shivers. Sat wrapped up in a blanket and warm clothes and skin is hot to touch but i still feel so cold. I know what to do if my children have a temp but i really don't feel like putting my feet in tepid water or eating an ice pop sad

Any suggestions?

Seona1973 Fri 09-Sep-11 21:23:26

paracetamol or ibuprofen?

NickNacks Fri 09-Sep-11 21:35:35

Can I take both together?

craftyknickers Fri 09-Sep-11 21:37:59

yes you can take both together. Try not to cover up, i know you are cold but that tends to make it worse.

hope you feel better soon

NickNacks Fri 09-Sep-11 21:53:35

Thank you- just waiting for DH to get in then I'm off to bed to try and sleep it off. Have removed the bed socks and blanket, and just taken the tablets so hopefully will feel better soon.

hiddenhome Fri 09-Sep-11 23:45:36

Try not to take too much medication. A fever is the body's way of killing the virus, so you don't want to lower it too much.

NickNacks Sat 10-Sep-11 21:36:07

Thank you.

Feeling much better this evening, not 100% as I'm quite achey now but fever has gone and i've just stuck to paracetamol and lots of fluids.

craftyknickers Sat 10-Sep-11 23:10:07

im glad your feeling a bit better smile

I find the fever the worst bit about being ill!

jenniec79 Sat 10-Sep-11 23:15:59

Get rid of the blankets and into your summer pjs
Sheet instead of heavily togged duvet too
Fan/open window

Yes I know it feels mean, but sweating it out will not help at all - I take blankets off patients at work if I'm asked to see them for a temp and they're all snuggled up in 4 blankets and a dressing gown!

Cool drinks - you'll be low on fluid if you're all sweaty and dehydration will make things worse

paracetamol is better at bringing temp down than brufen, so I'd start there. You can add in the ibuprofen as well as long as no other reason not to take (eg allergies etc)

If it's not coming down ->GP

jenniec79 Sat 10-Sep-11 23:16:49

Fortunately my high temps tend to be tonsil related so ice pops go down quite well regardless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now