Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Circulation and joint pain?

(12 Posts)
vickylou2004 Fri 09-Sep-11 19:13:39

Does anyone know if poor circulation and joint pain can be connected? Or does it not cause pain IYSWIM!

Kladdkaka Sat 10-Sep-11 09:20:49

Yes it can. I have problems with my legs due to poor circulation. This causes huge joint pain. Although the pain isn't actually the joints but the tendons that crisscross and work them which become enflamed.

vickylou2004 Sat 10-Sep-11 19:35:43

Where do you get the joint pain,just in your leg joints? Thanks for the reply. smile

Kladdkaka Sat 10-Sep-11 19:49:02

No, it can be any joint. My fingers feel really stiff and achey at the moment. My elbows are always quite bad too. You can sometimes tell if it tendons rather than the actual joints by pressing the flesh around the joints, it feels like you are pressing a bruise. It's a symptom of fibromyalgia, which is what I was diagnosed with many years ago.

vickylou2004 Sat 10-Sep-11 21:23:39

I had blood tests for arthritis, lupas, diabetes, cholestral etc, all negative but doc put me on a 2 week course of 500mg naproxen for joint pain. Now I am off them and the pains are better (the most pain was in my neck and upper spine but effected all joints down to my toes) but still there. I suffer from raynauds too. Really want to know what it is. Doc said if the pain was still there after finishing the course then he'd refer me to a rhumatologist but was wondering if the pain could just be from the circulation problems?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 10-Sep-11 21:26:02

the rheumy can look the circulation issues as some come under their remit.

vickylou2004 Sat 10-Sep-11 21:55:29

How do you mean, sorry?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 10-Sep-11 22:05:52

sorry. My rheumy (I have psoriatic arthritis so was already under him) is the one who instigated lots of tests for my raynauds - blood tests for things like lupus (but I think rheumys can order extra tests gps cant - might be wrong on that) also nerve conduction studies and x-rays to look for extra cervical ribs. He concluded it was severe raynauds and prescribed medication.

i've not got a clue as to whether my circulation stuff creates more pain but I do know that the pain is much worse in cold and damp.

vickylou2004 Sat 10-Sep-11 22:23:55

ohyoubadkitten did you say previously that psoriatic arthritis doesn't show in blood tests?
My pains are only slight after finishing the tablets. Do you think it warrants another visit to the doc? He thought it was a virus!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 10-Sep-11 23:07:42

it shows in the inflammatory markers (sorry, have had beer and cant remember what they are called) but it gives a negative ra thingy. I'd make a non-urgent appointment if it is still uncomfy in a couple of days - you can always cancel if you get better.

vickylou2004 Sun 11-Sep-11 13:22:02

ohyoubadkitten what are extra cervical ribs and are the tests specific for raynauds? I was told I had raynauds a few years ago but it wasn't through tests just from doctor summising.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 11-Sep-11 13:46:17

I didnt have tests for raynauds -rather he did tests to rule other stuff out. Extra cervical ribs are little (spare) ribs above the first rib. They are a congenital abnormality and my understanding is they can squash things. It did seem unlikely to be my issue as I have blue feet near constantly and cervical ribs affect shoulders and arms but he wanted to check - just a simple x-ray.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now