Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sore tongue, drooling and little blisters at corner of mouth?

(11 Posts)
Pinkted Fri 09-Sep-11 16:27:19

Hello there. My 2 year old has been making me understand she has a sore tongue for the last couple of days. Last night I had to change her PJs as she was drooling like during teething and this afternoon 2 little blisters have come up at the corner of her mouth.
We saw her cousins last weekend and I just learnt they had been complaining about sore tongues last week...
Does anyone have any ideas what this might be???
Many thanks

Pinkted Fri 09-Sep-11 16:29:44

Sorry I just realised I have not posted this where it should be and will move to Children's health!

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 09-Sep-11 16:32:40

hand foot and mouth maybe?

aftereight Fri 09-Sep-11 16:37:22

Does she have any tiny pink or red blisters on the soles of her feet or palms of her hands? It does sound like hand, foot & mouth tbh.
Sounds worse than it is!

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Fri 09-Sep-11 16:42:02

Hand foot and mouth.I had this without any spots on my hands or feet, but the ulcers were awful. The doctor won't give you anything ofr it except maybe somehting to numb the pain in her mouth. It's very contagious, though harmless, so make sure you tell nursery if she attends as they'll have to let others know.

Tenebrist Fri 09-Sep-11 17:11:00

The one good thing about H,F and M (from the child's point of view) is that our paed recommended ice-cream to sooth her mouth!

Pinkted Fri 09-Sep-11 18:25:52

Thanks for your input. No spots or marks on either hands or feet, could it still be H, F and M?

Pinkted Fri 09-Sep-11 18:53:07

Forgot to say, no temperature either...but she is very upset and grimaces with certain foods, plus it is drool, drool and more drool!

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Fri 09-Sep-11 19:00:03

Give her some calpol, and use a medicine syringe rather than a spoon as it'll be easier to swallow. When I had hand foot and mouth my only symptom was the mouth, and I only knew I had it (confirmed by doctor) as it was going around school. It hurts a LOT. I could barely eat or drink for days. Get her to a pharmacist tomorrow for some numbing gel for her mouth. It'll help enormously.

RubyrooUK Fri 09-Sep-11 19:59:08

The endless drooling was what tipped off the doctors that my DS had h, f and m. He did get spots in the end but they were very light - his throat and tonsils were covered in ulcers by that point. Maybe worth a trip to the doctor if your DC's mouth doesn't improve? Although the doctor just told me to give the standard paracetamol/ibruprofen for the pain/fever and wait for the h, f and m to clear.

Hope your DC gets well soon.

Pinkted Sat 10-Sep-11 13:57:32

Many thanks for all helpful suggestions and help on this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now