Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Underactive Thyroid

(5 Posts)
FreudianSlipper Fri 09-Sep-11 15:38:57

Have any of you experienced this? i have had 2 blood tests, shows up that i have low white blood cells but not directly showing up that i have an underactive thyroid. Having further blood tests as i have other symptoms that indicate this is the problem. Just wanted to ask if anyone on here has an underactive thyroid, do you take prescribed medication or have you tried natural remedies? Does your thyroid fluctuate and did you have just the one test or a few

thank you smile

OiMissus Fri 09-Sep-11 15:55:05

4 years ago I found a lump on my throat (at age 34). Turned out to be nothing and it disappeared by itself. But whilst running all the tests, I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. The doctors etc were quite condescending and said things like, "I'm sure you've been feeling tired and are not very active" (grrr! I was climbing Ben Nevis when I felt the lump!) Anyway, back to the point. I was put on medication - a daily tablet.
For a few weeks it made me quite aggresive and snappy, then I realised what was happening and learnt to bite my tongue. The aggressiveness and snappiness went away eventually.
After about 10 months of taking the daily tablets, I got bored and stopped taking them. I eventually told the nurse/doctor, who were quite angry and adamant that once you have an underactive thyroid you have it for life. Every 6 months or so they insist on checking my blood, and my thyroid is working perfectly normally.
I believe that the body is a clever thing. For some reason, it wasn't working properly. We added the supplement to get the levels back to normal. then i stopped the supplement and my body noticed the difference and my thyroid kicked in again to put things right. At least that's my (non-medically-trained) explanation.
can't help with the white blood cell thing - but just sharing my underactive thyroid experience.

FreudianSlipper Fri 09-Sep-11 16:12:36

thank you for sharing adn i am glad all is ok

i agree that your body can fix itself or with a little kick take over from drugs. i am not keen unless i have too to take a drug for the rest of my life i do not even take the pill as i do not like too many drugs on my body jsut unbalances everything

low white blood cells can indicate many things (for me not worth worrying about the other things jsut yet) but doctors feel it is my thyroid

KurriKurri Fri 09-Sep-11 22:10:46

I was DX with underactive thyroid last year and was on thyroxine for about nine months. However, my thyroid has now turned overactive, - I actually have Grave's disease which makes it overactive, and can make your thyroid switch from under to over.

Just telling you this to illustrate under active thyroid isn't necessarily for life, although I was told mine was initially. Although mine has gone the other way, I do know of people who's under active thyroid has 'got better' and become normal.

If you do need to take thyroxine, it doesn't have any side effects, its just a replacement for something that isn't there. And if you are feeling ill, it will make you feel a whole lot better. It can sometimes take a bit of jiggling around to get the dose right though.

My consultant told me stress affects your thyroid - certainly played a part in my problems I think, - so anything that relaxes you could be helpful (I do loads of yoga)

FreudianSlipper Sat 10-Sep-11 12:42:29

i think mine if that is the problem started with stress when my flat flooded a few years ago on top of other problems but have never felt that well since then.

thank you for your experiences

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now