Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

IBS Advice Needed for Weeping Sufferer

(9 Posts)
JodieHarsh Fri 09-Sep-11 15:04:16

Hello.

After 3 days of unending stomach pain I have just been diagnosed with IBS, which I have long suspected. I have to have a blood test to rule out coeliac, and another GP appt, but it looks pretty set.

I have been advised to rest, take buscopan (and lay off the Deflatine I was necking in desperation), and eat small meals of complex carbs until it calms down.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to cope with this? I can't think about anything but the pain, and I would love to know when I can expect it to stop. I have just burst into tears, which is pathetic given I'm not actually ill and it's not what you'd called raging agony - just a constant surging sickening throb. A hot water bottle and rest seems to help but as soon as I get up and do anything it kicks off.

If there are any IBS sufferers here who can give me some advice on diet, coping tips, etc. etc., I would be really pathetically grateful. And if anyone who helped me at 1am a night or so ago is reading, thanks again for you help that night.

JodieHarsh Fri 09-Sep-11 15:12:25

I have put this in chat too.....

catx2 Fri 09-Sep-11 17:55:26

Hello.

What type of IBS do you have? Is it mainly constipation or diarrhoea or both? Just wondering as diet advice would depend on which type you have.

And it is quite ok to be upset about it because it can really impact on your day to day activities.

JodieHarsh Fri 09-Sep-11 19:45:10

Hello there Cat - mainly constipation - almost never the other, except for when (in the past) I have panicked and taken far too many laxatives (I have now stopped, since it began to feel as if a red hot poker were being poked into my belly button).

Anxietyone Fri 09-Sep-11 19:56:57

Hi do you mind if I butt in here....I have IBS with constipation and am really struggling with it..as in what the right thnigs to eat are...I have also developed really bad piles and have become so very depressed due to it all..

I would really appreciate any advice

Thanks

JodieHarsh Fri 09-Sep-11 19:59:17

oh you poor thing Anxiety - there is a thread on this in chat, and some people giving some excellent advice, why don't you come over there and re-post this? I'm sure someone will have some good advice for you

catx2 Sat 10-Sep-11 16:06:01

Hi.
Sorry I'm late getting back to you.
I find that processed food, dairy and a lot of bread is not good. The main thing I think is to make sure you drink a lot of water and cut out caffeine drinks and alcohol. You can get more advice on diet if you google IBS.
Hope you feel better soon.

eragon Mon 12-Sep-11 10:02:23

small amounts of fibre at one meal, linseed sprinkled on breakfast cereal does work for when everything has stopped iyswim.
your bowel can get used to the normal over the counter stuff to make you go, and then its just pointless taking it.

I am mildly intol to milk so drink lactose free, and only have wheat once a day.
I have lots of upper indigestion so i avoid fruit juices. booze is a irritant as well.

caffine does make me go, but does cause more long term problems as it encourages a lazy bowel. so keep coffee low.

i drink ginger herbal tea, and this seems to work better than peppermint.

I massage my tummy when i am sitting on the loo, trying to go, to stimulate the normal gut spasms, that we just dont seem to have!

a gentle walk when severe pain is lessoned does help, as does a warm bath.

de-stress as much as possible. easier said than done i know!

if this continues, its worth knowing that the bowel has more nerve endings than the brain, and that some anti depressents work very well on this pain.
good luck , hope this info helps.

avoider Tue 13-Sep-11 14:26:14

Poor you. I've had IBS for a few decades now. I think the difficult thing is that different things work for different people. I used to get terrible constipation and the pain is as you describe - absolutely crippling. I currently take no medication.

What works for me is:

Finding a job where I didn't have to leave the house until 10am. Somehow, that allows me to clear my bowels (tmi!) and I don't then get all the bloating.

Relaxation - mine was largely due to stress. I swim as much as I can and that seems to help me.

Diet - I can't tolerate too many lentils and beans. I find a meat free diet better and I also have two glasses of wine most evenings. This ensures I can go to the loo the following morning. If I really can't go, I'll drink coffee or eat chocolate because both of these work as laxatives to me.

I know the work thing probably sounds really drastic - but I have to say since I started working at home a few years ago I've had virtually no pain at all. I do have loose stools but I usually only now go once in the morning so it's managemeable. I think i was at my worst when I had a stressful job working long hours and leaving home at 7am in the morning.

I personally think that stress is the main cause.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: