Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone tried to quit smoking using hypnotherapy?

(7 Posts)
monoid Wed 07-Sep-11 20:45:52

Hello wise Mumsnetters

Having tried to quit smoking via NRT a number of times and failing dreadfully, I've been considering hypnotherapy. The reason I haven't gone for it yet is that I don't really believe it works! I would love to hear from anyone who's tried it and whether it worked for them or not.
Thanks

Graciescotland Wed 07-Sep-11 20:47:51

Me! Nine years ago, one session. Never smoked again.That said I sent four people to the same hypnotherapist and none of them stopped. You need to really want to quit for it to be effective.

monoid Wed 07-Sep-11 20:49:59

Thanks for replying Gracie. I always really want to quit to start with and then get a panic a couple of months in.
Did you try NRT before the hypnotherapy? Or was that your first attempt?

Graciescotland Wed 07-Sep-11 21:15:24

I did (white stick thing you suck on) and cold turkey (managed a couple of stressful days). I smoked for six years, I think I tried to give up at least half a dozen times before I tried hypnotherapy.

Have you read Allan Carr's book? It's quite good for identifying why you think you need to smoke.

specialsmasher Wed 07-Sep-11 21:22:48

Allan Carr is GOOD - hypnotherapy didn't work for me - I don't think I'm hypnotisable - nothing happened, just a man talking and I wanted to smoke immediately afterwards. Allan Carr worked though - I did really want to quit (same true when I got hypnotised)

specialsmasher Wed 07-Sep-11 21:23:53

I found NRT phenomenally helpful, even though, conversely, Allen Carr says it's a no-no

monoid Wed 07-Sep-11 21:34:18

I haven't read Allan Carr's book. I will do that.
I don't know whether I'm just not ready to quit (although I feel like I am - I have had such horrendous hay fever, and combined with the smoking I ended up with a ventolin inhaler! blush ) I can't breathe properly, I hate the taste now and I hate that I'm completely dependent on it. Not to mention that I could do with the money. But I just can't keep it up for more than a couple of months <annoyed at myself emoticon>
I think I've just lost faith in the NRT since I have failed before IYSWIM. I start off now thinking that I will fail a few weeks down the line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now